Seibold stands down as Broncos coach, effective immediately

ANTHONY Seibold has confirmed he will immediately stand down as Brisbane Broncos coach, after a tumultuous year at the struggling NRL club.

The embattled leader entered Broncos HQ early on Wednesday morning for an emotional meeting with the playing group, where he said his goodbyes.

Addressing the media afterwards, Seibold said he had “chosen to step down from the Broncos coaching role”.

“This was the hardest decision I’ve ever had to make but right now I want to spend some more time with my family as they’ve made enormous scarifies in recent times,” Seibold said at a media conference on Wednesday.

It follows a difficult month for Seibold, who was forced into a 14-day quarantine after choosing to leave the squad’s bubble to attend to a family matter involving his duaghter in Sydney. At the same time, salacious rumours about his personal life began circulating, forcing him to hire lawyers.

Today, Seibold confirmed he will be taking the list of names of those behind the campaign against him to the police.

“I’ve been in a bubble so haven’t been able to get in front of a solicitor or the police. I’ve had some people reach out. There needs to be a change in the legislation for online bullying and social media but that’s for another time.”

Seibold admitted the ordeal played a big role in him calling it quits early.

“I think the final straw was hopping back on a plane from Sydney when I wanted to be with my daughter,” he said.

“I could’ve stayed for the final five games and do a review at the end of the year but I wanted to be fair to the club.

“I’m not afraid to say, I cried in front of the players, it was an emotional morning saying goodbye to the players.

“Plenty of hugs and you connect with people. You’re not going to connect with everyone but you’re in the footy team and a locker room. It’s always emotional when you say goodbye.”

The 45-year-old is now the shortest serving coach in Brisbane’s 32-year history, lasting only 20 months into a five-year contract and finishing with a winning record of 37 per cent.

“I gave it my best at the Broncos but ultimately I’m responsible for where we’re currently are. Head coaches know there’s no finger pointing, there’s no deflection of blame when a club struggles.”

Broncos CEO Paul White revealed that Seibold approach the chairman of the board last week to indicate he did not want to continue on as coach for the rest of the year and the remaining three years of his contract.

“The levels of scrutiny, some of it bordering on hysterical if not slanderous in recent times, have placed a very heavy burden on Anthony and his family,” White said.

“We have endeavoured to support Anthony and his loved ones during this time.”

Despite everything that’s happened, Seibold said he still has aspirations to coach again in the future.

“These events haven’t dampened my enthusiasm for coaching.. in fact it’s made me more determined than ever,” he said.

“Head coaching in the NRL isn’t for the faint of heart, I know that and I know that I’ll be a better coach and better leader but, ultimately, a better person for the experiences I’ve gone through over the last few years as head coach of South Sydney and coach of the Brisbane Broncos.”

Peter Gentle will remain as head coach on an interim role for the rest of the year while a search for a new leader gets underway.

“The board will begin a search for a new coach immediately but will not put a time frame on that process,” White said.

Broncos put forward massive payout to get rid of coach immediately

The Brisbane Broncos have now reportedly made serious moves to oust coach Anthony Seibold, after various professional and personal problems recently.

The struggling side has been at the centre of Covid breaches and online scandals throughout the 2020 season, while hovering near the bottom of the ladder.

Seibold recently hired lawyers and investigators to get the bottom of the latest rumours surrounding him and his family, that have been circulating social media.

Newscorp now reports the club is keen to be rid of the drama, offering Seibold $1 million to leave the top job now.

Less than two years into his five year contract, the club and the coach had been in discussions over his future lately.

But it’s understood the process was sped up due to the latest drama, with rumours he might not be coaching Friday night’s clash with the Roosters.

AFL Logo

Lynch escapes ban for “cheap shot” on Gold Coast Suns star

RICHMOND star Tom Lynch has managed to avoid an AFL suspension despite being charged with two striking offences following Monday night’s clash with the Gold Coast Suns.

Lynch came under fire for an off-the-ball strike on Suns defender Sam Collins in the final quarter of the Tiger’s 21-point win at the Gabba.

During the TV broadcast, former St Kilda champion Nick Riewoldt labelled the strike a “cheap shot”.

However, on Tuesday, the Match Review Officer found the incident wasn’t worthy of suspension.

“Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Intentional Conduct with Low Impact and Body Contact,” the AFL said in a statement.

“The player can accept a $1000 sanction with an early plea.”

Lynch was also sanctioned $1000 for another striking incident involving Jarrod Witts in the third term.

He is free to play in Richmond’s ‘Dreamtime’ match against Essendon in Darwin on Saturday night.

The Gold Coast Suns didn’t escape coming under scrutiny from the Match Review, with Caleb Graham sanctioned for striking the Tigers’ Mabior Chol during the last quarter.

The incident was classified as a $1250 sanction for a first offence but it will be lowered to $750 with an early plea.

Broncos fined $140,000 over Brisbane pub lunch

A lunch at a Brisbane pub has proved to be an expensive exercise for the Brisbane Broncos and 10 of its players with the NRL handing out $140,000 in fines.

The group had lunch at the Everton Park Hotel on August 1, and while not in breach of Queensland health rules, it was found to be a breach of NRL biosecurity protocols.

The club itself has been fined $75,000 for what the NRL has described as a ‘significant failure.’

Seven full-time players have been fined five per cent of their salaries, totalling $65,000.

Those copping the fines are David Fifita, Jake Turpin, Kotoni Staggs, Cory Paix, Keenan Palasia, Sean O’Sullivan and Corey Oates.

Development players Ethan Bullemor, Josh James and Tyson Gamble will have a portion of their fines suspended.

“We have taken our time to thoroughly investigate this matter so we could gather as much evidence as possible to determine exactly what happened at the venue,” NRL Acting Chief Executive Andrew Abdo said.

“It is our view that this breach involved a significant failure of the club to properly administer the League’s biosecurity protocols.”

Broncos CEO Paul White says the club was not aware of the pub visit, nor approved it.

“We accept the imposition of the $75,000 fine, as the Club has ultimate accountability for the actions of our players,” White said.

“The players will also pay a price in terms of individual sanctions.

“It is an expensive lesson for us all, but it reinforces how important these protocols are to the survival of our competition and community health.”

Gold Coast Suns Coach Stuart Dew

Dew upbeat about Suns future despite another loss

Gold Coast Suns coach Stuart Dew is remaining optimistic about his side’s future despite Monday night’s 21-point loss to Richmond at the Gabba.

The Suns managed to fight back against the Tiger’s early dominance to lead by 10-points at half time before a number of missed opportunities saw the defending premiers run away with the victory.

It extends the Gold Coast’s winless streak to five games following a draw with Essendon last Wednesday, a four-point loss to St Kilda a week earlier, a heavy loss to GWS the week before that and five-point defeat to the Western Bulldogs another week earlier.

The Suns last win was a 32-point thrashing of the Sydney Swans back on July 18.

It leaves the Gold Coast sitting in 13th spot on the ladder after 12 rounds and six points outside the top eight.

The side faces another quick turn-around this week as they prepare to take on 12th-placed Carlton on Friday night.

Despite the recent run of losses, coach Stuart Dew said he is happy with how the side is progressing this season after finishing stone-cold last at the end of 2019.

“I think we took the game on tonight against a quality footy side .. no doubt,” Dew said after the match.

“We didn’t want to play safe, we had a crack through the corridor, some came off an some didn’t.

“Had opportunities at different parts of the game for sure but we said after the game we love the way the boys are playing.

“We love the fact we’re not having to coach effort and intensity and we can really go to work on what are the lessons learnt.

“From our point of view, to be in every game lately and have the fight .. the consistency .. we want to play a hard-running, exciting game but there’s a finishing element that we want to keep working on.

“All in all the energy’s really good; we’re not frustrated and certainly have a clear view of how we want to play the game.

“If we keep showing up it’ll turn and when it turns I think they’ll be able to make the most of it.”

Meantime, Richmond star Tom Lynch is expected to be scrutinised by the AFL’s Match Review Officer following an off-ball strike on Suns opponent Sam Collins, which left him fuming.

But Lynch claims there was nothing in it.

“It was just an open hand and pushed off,” Lynch told ABC Grandstand post-match.

“That was it … he (Collins) was a bit angry about that but it was just an open hand to the chest, which as key forwards is what you want to do.”

TV camera angles showed Lynch swinging his right arm but it was not a clear view of the contact.

Match review officer Michael Christian will have access to multiple camera angles when he assesses the incident today.