Man hospitalised after alleged stabbing attack in Logan

UPDATE @ 9.00 AM | Queensland Police has confirmed that they’re investigating an alleged stabbing attack that happened in Logan overnight.

A 17-year-old boy was found with wounds to knife wounds to his leg along Station Street in Woodridge around 1.00 am.

It’s understood he was confronted and threatened by three men, who then fled the scene before emergency services arrived.

Paramedics, including critical care, assessed the boy for non-life-threatening injuries, before transporting him to Logan Hospital for further treatment.

Investigations are ongoing.

EARLIER @ 7.30 AM | A man’s been hospitalised after he was allegedly stabbed in an altercation in Logan overnight.

Emergency services were called to an address off Railway Parade around 1.00 am, following reports of the incident.

Paramedics, including critical care, assessed a man in his 20s at the scene, who’d suffered facial and leg injuries.

He was taken to the Logan Hospital in a stable condition.

No other injuries were reported.

Police are yet to confirm if they’re investigating the incident.

Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts dies

The Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts has died at the age of 80, his publicist has said.

The musician, who marked his 80th birthday in June, had been a member of the rock group since 1963.

A statement from his London publicist Bernard Doherty to the PA news agency said: “It is with immense sadness that we announce the death of our beloved Charlie Watts. He passed away peacefully in a London hospital earlier today surrounded by his family.

“Charlie was a cherished husband, father and grandfather and also, as a member of The Rolling Stones, one of the greatest drummers of his generation.

“We kindly request that the privacy of his family, band members and close friends is respected at this difficult time.”

Earlier this month, it was announced that Watts was to miss the band’s forthcoming US tour.

A spokesman for him said at the time he was “unlikely to be available for the resumption of the Rolling Stones USA No Filter Tour this fall” as he recovered from an unspecified medical procedure.

The band are due to resume the tour Stateside in September, following its postponement last year amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Session and touring musician Steve Jordan was previously announced as Watts’ temporary replacement on drums.

Watts said at the time that “For once my timing has been a little off. I am working hard to get fully fit but I have today accepted on the advice of the experts that this will take a while.”

A spokesperson said then that Watts’ procedure had been “completely successful” but that he needed time to recuperate.

Following the news, Sir Mick Jagger welcomed Jordan, who will join the band when the tour starts in St Louis on September 26, with dates also scheduled for Pittsburgh, Nashville, Minneapolis, Dallas and more.

Alongside frontman Sir Mick and guitarist Keith Richards, Watts was among the longest-standing members of the Stones, which has seen a shifting line-up of musicians including Mick Taylor, Ronnie Wood and Bill Wyman.

In 2004, Watts was treated for throat cancer at London’s Royal Marsden Hospital and he was given the all-clear after a four-month battle with the disease, involving six weeks of intensive radiotherapy treatment.

Watts was diagnosed after discovering a lump on the left side of his neck.

Doctors performed a biopsy which confirmed the tumour was malignant and he was diagnosed with throat cancer in June that year.

His spokesman said at the time that Watts’ treatment had “not interfered with any tour or recording plans for the group, who have been ‘relaxing between work commitments'”.

Following his recovery, the band began work on their 22nd studio album, A Bigger Bang.

Watts, who reportedly gave up smoking in the 1980s, said during an interview with Rolling Stone magazine at the time that he felt “very lucky” doctors had caught the cancer early.

© PAA 2021

Motorist critical after nasty head-on crash in the Hinterland

UPDATE 8.30 AM | A man is fighting for life in hospital this morning after a horror crash in the hinterland early this morning.

His car’s understood to have collided head-on with another just outside Canungra around 6.10 am.

Emergency services, including critical care, rushed to Beaudesert Nerang Road in Witheren where they assessed two men at the scene.

One had to be cut from his vehicle and suffered head and leg injuries before being rushed to the University Hospital in a critical condition.

The other suffered some back pain and was also taken to the Uni hospital as a precaution.

QAS could not confirm their ages.

The crash caused Beaudesert Nerang Road to be closed off for a couple of hours this morning, with no diversions able to be put in place.

Earlier @ 6.30 AM Hinterland motorists are being warned of a nasty crash holding up traffic near Canungra this morning.

Emergency services were called to a two-car collision along Beaudesert Nerang Road in Witheren around 6.10 am.

It’s currently holding up traffic in both directions, with motorists warned of delays.

The High Acuity Response Team was also dispatched to the scene.

Paramedics report that one person is trapped in one of the vehicles.

Emergency services are working to get them out.

Sydney police dish out dozens of fines over illegal church gathering

Over 30 people and a Sydney church have been fined over an illegal gathering over the weekend.

Officers were called to a church on Fourth Avenue in Blacktown around 7.30 pm yesterday, following reports of a large gathering that was breaching public health orders.

Police allege that around 60 adults and children were found at the site, believed to be participating in a sermon.

They took down everyone’s details before sending them home, also finding the building was not displaying a QR code at the entry.

Those in attendance are believed to have come from the Canterbury-Bankstown, Fairfield and Liverpool local government areas.

31 people have since been issued Penalty Infringement Notices, while the organisation was slapped with a $5,000 fine, all for failing to comply with a noticed direction.

 

Australia’s COVID vaccine rollout hits ‘significant’ milestone

Australia’s vaccination rollout is continuing to pick up the pace, with the country hitting a number of goals in the past 24 hours.

Speaking to reporters from Canberra, Prime Minister Scott Morrison this afternoon confirmed more than 16 million COVID-19 vaccines have now been administered across Australia.

“That is 215 each and every minute that is being distributed… These are extraordinary marks for the National vaccine program,” Mr Morrison said.

The figure has been described as a “significant milestone”, with 50 per cent of all Australians aged over 16 now having had their first coronavirus vaccine.

“More than one in two eligible Australians have now had their first dose,” the Prime Minister said.

“There are more people who are eligible who have had their vaccine than have not had their vaccine in Australia today, that is a major turning point.”

It comes after a massive 309,000 people rolled up their sleeves to receive the jab yesterday, which is another new daily record.

“Every one of those is a dose of hope,” Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt said.

“Every one of those means that more individual Australians are protected but more Australians collectively are protected.” 

Authorities have also confirmed that Australians aged between 16 and 39 will be able to receive the jab from the end of the month.

“We agreed today and the cabinet also met today to affirm that we will be moving to opening up to 16 to 39 -year-olds for the balance of the program and we intend for that to commence from 30 August,” the Prime Minister said.

However, the 8.6 million Australians in that age bracket are being urged not to make a booking just yet.

“We will advise when bookings can be made. It isn’t today… We will advise when the time will come over the course of the next week,” Mr Morrison said.