Microphone

The Boy From Oz to hit the stage at The Star Gold Coast

Dust off your maracas Gold Coast!

Smash hit musical The Boy From Oz will be hitting the stage at The Star Gold Coast this October for a strictly limited season.

The show tells the behind-the-scenes story of legendary Australian entertainer Peter Allen, and features a number of his iconic songs including ‘I Go To Rio’, ‘I Honestly Love You’, ‘BiCoastal’, ‘Don’t Cry Out Loud’ and ‘Everything Old Is New Again’, to name a few.

Presented by Spotlight Theatrical Company, the local production will be directed and choreographed by Drew Anthony, with an all-star cast of top musical theatre talent to bring Peter’s incredible story to life.

Mr Anthony said The Boy From Oz will dazzle and electrify, and have audiences singing (and crying).

“It’s been 30 years since we lost Peter so what better time to re-tell his incredible story and bring THE BOY FROM OZ roaring back to life for a new generation of theatre audiences who may not be aware that he was born in Tenterfield, first performed professionally in 1959 on the Gold Coast, was married to Liza Minnelli and was mentored by his mother-in-law – the legendary Judy Garland. He also won an Academy Award and wrote and starred in his very own Broadway show!” he said.

Spotlight Theatrical Company President Duncan Sims said he is thrilled this Spotlight Theatre production will be taking over the The Star Gold Coast stage.

“This is a wonderful opportunity and experience for our artists to perform at a first-class venue in front of so many patrons,” he said.

“As an established, renowned and award winning Musical Theatre company this Spotlight production of The Boy From OZ will provide so much entertainment, vitally and bring to life the story of Peter Allen.”

The Boy From Oz is on at The Star Gold Coast from 14-23 October 2022. Tickets are on sale now at premier.ticketek.com.au

 

Petrol

Aust drivers’ fuel costs hit $100 a week

Cash-strapped Australians filling up at the fuel pump paid an extra $5 a week over the course of the past three months, according to new figures.

The Australian Automobile Association’s latest Transport Affordability Index, released on Sunday, shows average weekly fuel costs across the nation rose to $100.39 in the June quarter.

Typical weekly household transport costs also grew to $412.21 in capital cities and $342.98 in the regions.

The fuel costs factor in the temporary halving of the fuel excise rate, inflation running at 6.1 per cent annually and global price shocks stemming from the war in Ukraine.

Michael Bradley, managing director of the peak motoring body, said it was the first time the national weekly fuel cost average had passed $100 since the index’s inception in 2016.

“Despite the temporary excise cut, fuel prices are rising and continue to be a significant contributor to cost of living pressures across both regional and metropolitan Australia,” he said.

Average fuel costs were $98.37 per week across the nation’s capital cities and $102.71 per week regionally, with motorists in Bunbury ($122.70), Geelong ($118.31) and Launceston ($114.67) the hardest hit, according to the index.

The 22-cent cut to the fuel excise is due to end next month, with the Albanese government strongly indicating it won’t be extended.

The national average for petrol prices fell to 173.6 cents a litre last week, its lowest point since Easter.

Sydney remains Australia’s most expensive capital city for transport costs, averaging $486.18 per week, followed by Melbourne ($461.01) and Brisbane ($454.52).

The transport cost calculations take into consideration average weekly spending on fuel, car loan repayments, tolls, insurance and servicing, as well as public transport.

AAA DATA ON AVERAGE FUEL COSTS PER WEEK IN CAPITAL CITIES

* Hobart $102.63

* Darwin $99.84

* Sydney $99.13

* Canberra $98.92

* Brisbane $98.15

* Melbourne $97.29

* Perth $95.71

* Adelaide $95.28

© AAP 2022

Coast shopping centre unveils $40M beachfront dining precinct

A new multi-million dollar beachfront dining precinct featuring a host of mouth-watering new eateries will officially open its doors on the Gold Coast next month.

Well-known Surfers Paradise shopping destination, Paradise Centre, will unveil eight new casual dining restaurants including Queensland’s very first iteration of beloved gourmet burger franchise Wahlburgers, created by the famous Wahlberg family.

It’s part of a $40 million redevelopment that is set to take beachfront dining to a whole new level.

The highly anticipated new precinct will also house legendary tex-mex restaurant El Camino Cantina, all-time American favourite TGI Fridays, iconic gelato store Gelato Messina, Nahm Talay Thai, Hero Sushi, Enzo’s Cucina and La Playa’s.

Adam McKean, Head of Retail, said Paradise Centre’s re-development has been long awaited and is ready to change the face of outdoor dining in Surfers.

“We’re so excited to welcome a new range of delicious dining options and a stunning new exterior with beachfront views to the iconic Paradise Centre location so many locals and holidaymakers already know and love,” Adam said.

“This redevelopment will really breathe new life into Surfers Paradise, providing the perfect place for diners to immerse themselves in world-class views and enjoy the delicious flavours of the world in style.”

PHOTO: Supplied

Set to open on September 9, the redevelopment will also bring an expanded range of retail stores including Baku Swimwear, Rip Curl, Stateside Sports and Dastaan Barber, which join the recently launched Surf Dive N’ Ski and Vans.

Destination Gold Coast CEO Patricia O’Callaghan said it’s yet another tourism investment that will continue to elevate the city as a must-visit destination.

“Located only steps away from Surfers Paradise beach, this all-new precinct offers families and couples a diverse mix of outdoor dining options with unparalleled views just in time for summer,” Ms O’Callaghan said.

“With a number of new hotel openings, personalised experiences and a plethora of dining options on offer, we’re seeing the Gold Coast cement its status as Australia’s favourite holiday playground.”

Olivia Newton-John’s husband pens emotional tribute to late wife

The heartbroken husband of beloved Australian icon Olivia Newton-John has released a touching tribute to his late wife.

It’s the first time John Easterling has commented since the Grease star’s tragic passing at the age of 73 earlier this week.

In an emotional letter shared to social media this morning, Easterling described Newton-John as “the most courageous woman he’s ever known”.

“Olivia, Our love for each other transcends our understanding,” he penned.

“Every day we expressed our gratitude for this love that could be so deep, so real, so natural.

“We never had to ‘work’ on it. We were in awe of this great mystery and accepted the experience of our love as past, present and forever.”

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Olivia Newton-John (@therealonj)

Eaterling continued by praising his wife for her kind heart, writing the heartwarming words alongside a photo of them together.

“At Olivia’s deepest essence she was a healer using her mediums of song, of words, of touch. She was the most courageous woman I’ve ever known.

“Her bandwidth for genuinely caring for people, for nature and all creatures almost eclipses what is humanely possible.

“It is only the grace of God that has allowed me to share the depth and passion of her being for so long.

“In her most difficult times she always had the spirit, the humor, and the will power to move things into the light.

“Even now as her soul soars, the pain and holes in my heart are healed with the joy of her love and the light that shines forward.

“Our family deeply appreciates the vast ocean of love and support that has come our way.”

Traffic relief with first stage of major M1 upgrade finally complete

Gold Coast motorists will be able to enjoy a smoother run home, with the first section of M1 upgrades in the southern part of the city now complete.

Three lanes have now opened in both directions between Varsity Lakes and Burleigh, easing congestion along the notoriously busy stretch.

The works in the first section included extending and relocating the Exit 85 northbound off-ramp by 250 metres and adding a fourth northbound lane between the Reedy Creek Exit 85 and Burleigh Exit 87.

Transport and Main Roads Minister Mark Bailey said it will make a major difference for motorists.

“This major milestone will deliver huge benefits to the 90,000 commuters who travel between Varsity Lakes and Burleigh each day,” Mr Bailey said.

“We’ll see commuter travel times reduced, safety improved and easier access to important local facilities like the Varsity Lakes train station.”

Works continue on the next two stages of the $1 billion project, which will also improve the motorway from Burleigh to Tugun.

“The M1 is Queensland’s busiest road, seeing more than 210,000 vehicles regularly driving it on its busiest days,” Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said.

“This $1 billion upgrade will widen 10 kilometres of the M1, upgrade interchanges, build better service roads and create active transport connections between Varsity Lakes and Tugun.

“Not only is this good for local drivers, but it’s also good for jobs, with 850 jobs supported over the life of the project.”

Environment Minister and local MP Meaghan Scanlon has thanked drivers for their patience during the works.

“The project team also had to contend with severe weather events while widening the motorway and building a new interchange in a live traffic environment,” Ms Scanlon said.

“I thank motorists for their patience during this time.

“As we continue the Varsity Lakes to Tugun upgrade, a reminder to drivers to follow signs and adhere to speed limits through road works for the safety of all road users and workers.