Police America

Nine people dead after gunman attacks US railyard workers

Nine people have been confirmed dead and multiple others injured, after another mass shooting tragedy in the United States.

Calls to 911 started around 6.30 am local time in California, with reports a gunman had unleashed on staff at a railway yard.

Multiple people were shot and when police arrived on the scene, they were quick to take out the gun man too.

The death toll of nine includes eight victims and the gunman himself. Authorities say this number could rise, with multiple people now seriously injured.

Emergency services, including the bomb squad, remain on scene this morning searching the railway yard for possible explosives.

President Joe Biden is expected to speak this morning, in what’s become the 15th shooting attack since last Friday in the US.

More to come.

14 killed after cable car breaks and rolls down Italian mountainside

At least 14 people have been killed after a cable car plunged down a slope in Italy.

The cable was on its way up a mountain in northern Italy, when the cable reportedly broke.

The car then fell to the ground and tumbled down the mountainside several times before hitting some trees and finally coming to a stop.

It’s understood 15 people were inside the cable car at the time of the horror incident.

Some were thrown from the car.

14 people have been confirmed dead, while the lone survivor – a young child – was hospitalised in a serious condition with broken bones.

 

Prince William & Princess Kate

‘She was failed’: Prince William condemns BBC and rogue reporter

Prince William has released a video statement, responding to a report which found Princess Diana was tricked into an interview.

The BBC set up an inquiry back in November, to look into allegations that Diana’s brother Charles Spencer was deceived into introducing her to journalist Martin Bashir. She then agreed to an interview with him.

It’s understood that Bashir had produced fake bank statements, that suggested Diana’s staff were being paid to provide information about her.

It then leads to the infamous interview, where Diana gave the comment ‘there were three of us in this marriage, so it was a bit crowded’.

The inquiry has found that Bashir acted with deceit. However, it also condemned the actions of the BBC, for falling short of their own high standards of integrity and transparency.

Diana’s son, Prince William, has also released a statement on the inquiry’s findings, saying that interview significantly worsened his parent’s marriage.

“It is my view that the deceitful way the interview was obtained substantially influenced what my mother said,” William says in the video.

“The interview was a major contribution to making my parents’ relationship worse and has since hurt countless others.

“It brings indescribable sadness to know that the BBC’s failures contributed significantly to her fear, paranoia and isolation that I remember from those final years with her.

“But what saddens me most, is that if the BBC had properly investigated the complaints and concerns first raised in 1995, my mother would have known that she had been deceived.

“She was failed not just by a rogue reporter, but by leaders at the BBC who looked the other way rather than asking the tough questions.”

Prince William is calling for the interview to never be used again, and for the BBC to officially rectify the narrative.

The BBC has apologised to Prince William.

 

BREAKING: Repatriation flight drama as dozens of Australians test positive to COVID-19

Dozens of vulnerable Australians who were due to fly home on the first repatriation flight from India have been barred from getting on board after testing positive to COVID-19.

It’s understood around 40 passengers have returned positive results for the virus, while another 30 people have been identified as close contacts and have also been blocked.

Around 150 people were booked to board the first flight home from New Delhi, which is scheduled to touch down in Australia tomorrow.

DFAT is now reportedly working to get other passengers on board the flight, however due to strict testing requirements it could prove difficult.

Those who have been given the all-clear to fly will spend two weeks in quarantine at the Howard Springs facility in Darwin upon touching down.

It comes as the Government’s controversial India travel ban is due to be lifted at midnight.

Three charter flights have been listed for this month.

Conor McGregor

Conor McGregor tops Forbes list of highest paid athletes

The ten highest-paid athletes in the world have been revealed, with UFC star Conor McGregor topping the list for the first time ever.

According to Forbes, McGregor pocketed a whopping $180 million in the past 12 months, joining Roger Federer and Tiger Woods as the only athletes to earn more than $70 million off the field in a single year while still actively competing.

That’s despite only fighting once, with most of his earnings coming from outside the octagon.

“This year, McGregor lands the winning punch, having leveraged his unmatched popularity in mixed martial arts to build a lucrative hustle outside UFC’s Octagon,” Forbes wrote.

The 32-year-old Irishman took home around $22 million in his loss to Dustin Poirier, while the rest came from his successful business ventures, including the recent sale of his majority stake in whiskey brand Proper No. Twelve to Proximo Spirits for $150 million.

It’s McGregor’s second appearance in the top ten, after coming in at number four with $99 million in 2018 after his fight against Floyd Mayweather.

Forbes 10 highest-paid athletes:

1. Conor McGregor, MMA: $180 million

2. Lionel Messi, Soccer: $130 million

3. Cristiano Ronaldo, Soccer: $120 million

4. Dak Prescott, Football: $107.5 million

5. LeBron James, Basketball: $96.5 million

6. Neymar, Soccer: $95 million

7. Roger Federer, Tennis: $90 million

8. Lewis Hamilton, Formula 1: $82 million

9. Tom Brady, Football: $76 million

10. Kevin Durant, Basketball: $75 million