Parents release video of moment drug affected teens killed in crash to warn others

WARNING – Viewers may find this video distressing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YT-uPWdnSg

Chilling footage showing the moment before two young men were killed in a high-speed crash, has been released in a bid to warn young motorists about reckless driving.

The parents of the two young men who were killed while driving under the influence of drugs, supported Sussex Police in releasing the video as a warning to others.

Kyle Careford, 20, and his 21-year-old passenger Michael Owen were killed instantly when their vehicle crashed into the wall of a church at Crowborough in East Sussex on April 12.

The horrifying journey was filmed by Mr Owen on his mobile phone.

The video was shown at an inquest into the pairs deaths, with Mr Owens mother stating that she hopes that others can see the consequences a bit of ‘fun’ can have.

“I really don’t know why the boys chose to do what they did, but I blame them both for the decisions they made on the night,” she said after the inquest.

“If all this stops one person from making the same mistake, then some good has come from them showing this video.

“I’m hoping it will have an impact on young people and make them see that a bit of fun can have such devastating consequences.”

 

 

 

US dentist escapes charges over killing Cecil the lion

THE US dentist who killed Cecil the lion has escaped charges after Zimbabwe officials revealed his papers “were in order” and that he did not know he was committing any offence.

The black-maned lion was shot dead with a powerful bow and arrow in July by US trophy hunter Walter Palmer in a hunt that provoked worldwide outrage.

Dentist escapes lion kill charges

Dentist Walter Palmer

Palmer paid $US55,000 ($A75,000) to shoot the lion on an expedition led by a professional Zimbabwean hunter.

The hunt provoked a storm of criticism after it emerged that Cecil was a well-known attraction among visitors to the Hwange National Park and was wearing a tracking collar as part of an Oxford University research project.

But a Zimbabwean government minister said it would not pursue any legal proceedings against Palmer.

Calls to the US Fish and Wildlife Service, which was handling a US investigation into Palmer, were not immediately returned.

Young boy killed in hunting accident

A young boy has been killed in a hunting accident in a New Zealand forest.

Connor Brian Phillips was accidentally shot dead on Sunday after a gun went off while being unloaded by an adult hunter.

Emergency services rushed to the Kaingaroa Forest, however the 11-year-old sadly died at the scene.

A post-mortem will be carried out today.

Final report due into downing of MH17

Investigators are expected to confirm that a Russian-made surface-to-air missile brought down Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 in eastern Ukraine, in a final report due out on Tuesday.

Thirty-eight Australian citizens and residents were among the 298 killed when MH17 was blown out of the sky on July 17 last year on a flight from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur.

The Boeing 777 was flying above heavy fighting between Ukrainian government forces and pro-Russian separatists.

The Dutch Safety Board will release its final report into the cause of the crash in front of many relatives of the victims.

The board will also unveil part of the plane’s cockpit and business class section which has been reconstructed from the wreckage.

The report will address the issue of airlines flying over conflict areas and to what extent people on the plane were aware of what was happening when it was hit.

The safety board, which is the Dutch transport watchdog, has made clear it is not concerned with blame or liability as those are matters for the criminal investigation to answer.

The Joint Investigation Team has been probing the crash for 15 months and has representatives from the Netherlands, Ukraine, Australia, Malaysia and Belgium – the countries most affected by the crash.

Al Jazeera “outraged” over Greste retrial delays

News agency Al Jazeera says it is outraged by a new delay in a verdict on the retrial of Australian journalist Peter Greste and his two colleagues.

The court in Cairo was due to deliver a verdict in a second trial against Mr Greste and his Al Jazeera colleagues on Thursday, but the decision has been delayed.

Mr Greste says the delay is preventing the trio from moving on with their lives after their imprisonment.

Mr Greste and his colleguegues were found guilty of spreading false news in their coverage of an army-led coup against Islamist president Mohamed Morsi in 2013 but were later released.