One dead, 9 injured after gunman opens fire at US block party

ONE person has been killed and at least another nine people injured after a man wielding a shotgun reportedly opened fire at a block party in the US.

According to The Detroit Free Press, the gunman opened fire on up to 500 people, including children, on a basketball court in Detroit on Saturday night.

At least one person was killed with up to another nine others injured, including at least three women and three men.

“There were little kids and strollers…it was a party…it’s a miracle no kids were shot,” one responding officer told reporters.

One of the injured men is reported to be in a critical condition, while at least two others are being treated for “serious injuries”.

The block has been cordoned off and scores of detectives remain at the scene trying to piece together the events leading up to the shooting.

There is no further information available.

3 dead after Austria driver runs over, stabs pedestrians on famous street

GRAZ, Austria, June 20 (UPI) — A seven-year-old boy was among three people killed in Austria Saturday afternoon after a motorist randomly and deliberately ran over bystanders and stabbed several others, witnesses said.

Witnesses said the man drove erratically around the streets of Graz, Austria’s second-largest city, and appeared to plow into crowds at random. More than 30 pedestrians were hurt amid the carnage and at least ten ended up in the hospital with serious injuries. Several are listed in critical condition, BBC News reported Saturday.

The 26-year-old suspect did not stop the mayhem until he pulled up in his battered vehicle at a nearby police station, news reports said. The man was not immediately identified but police reportedly said he is a professional driver and is married with two children.

According to officials, three children were among those injured and one boy died. One witness told the Wiener Zeitung newspaper that…

[signoff icon=”icon-link”]FULL ARTICLE: UPI
*This link to the original article is not under the control of myGC.com.au and may on occasions contain content of a graphic nature.[/signoff]

Racing Queen has meeting with Her Majesty at Royal Ascot

THE QUEEN of Australian horse racing has met the British Monarch.

Gai Waterhouse has been snapped chatting with Queen Elizabeth II on the final day of Royal Ascot.

The celebrated trainer presented a trophy during the famous event and had earlier admitted she was hoping to receive the Diamond Jubilee silverware from Her Majesty.

Estranged husband accused of killing three bystanders

THREE people have died and dozens more have been injured, after a man allegedly ploughed his four-wheel drive into a crowded city centre in Austria.

It’s believed the 26-year-old was distraught over personal issues, with Police confirming he had a domestic violence report filed against him last month and a restraining order against going to the home of his wife and two children.

He was arrested and is expected to undergo a psychological assesment.

Along with the three fatalities, 34 people have been injured, six are in a critical condition including two children.

About 60 ambulance vans as well as four helicopters rushed to the scene, in the city of Graz, to treat the victims and transport them to hospital.

Distraught locals have already started a memorial at the site, including floral bouquets and candles.

North Korea human rights abuses to be monitored from Seoul

SEOUL, June 19 (UPI) — North Korea human rights abuses are to be monitored at a new U.N. office in Seoul, a move that has drawn sharp criticism from Pyongyang.

The U.N. Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights is scheduled to open the new field office on Tuesday, the Korea Herald reported.

The opening of the office in South Korea complies with a U.N. Commission of Inquiry recommendation published in February 2014. In their report, the commission urged concerned parties to take action against North Korean human rights violations, according to Voice of America.

In March, Pyongyang blasted the U.N. move, and North Korea’s Committee for Peaceful Unification ironically vowed “merciless punishment” against Seoul for accommodating the U.N. office.

North Korea voiced its opposition to the office again this week, when a representative from Pyongyang to a U.N. Human Rights Council in Geneva condemned the new office.

“We regard it as a political plot aimed…

[signoff icon=”icon-link”]FULL ARTICLE: UPI
*This link to the original article is not under the control of myGC.com.au and may on occasions contain content of a graphic nature.[/signoff]