Jeffrey Epstein accuser sues Prince Andrew for alleged sexual assault

One of Jeffrey Epstein’s accusers has filed a lawsuit against Prince Andrew, accusing the royal of sexually assaulting her when she was 17.

Lawyers for Queensland woman Virginia Roberts Giuffre filed the lawsuit in Manhattan Federal Court on Monday.

“Twenty years ago, Prince Andrew’s wealth, power, position, and connections enabled him to abuse a frightened, vulnerable child with no one there to protect her,” the lawsuit states.

“It is long past the time for him to be held to account”.

Ms Giuffre said in a statement that she “did not come to this decision lightly”.

“I am holding Prince Andrew accountable for what he did to me,” she said.

“The powerful and rich are not exempt from being held responsible for their actions.

“I hope that other victims will see that it is possible not to live in silence and fear, but to reclaim one’s life by speaking out and demanding justice.

“As a mother and a wife, my family comes first and I know that this action will subject me to further attacks by Prince Andrew and his surrogates – but I knew if I did not pursue this action, I would be letting them and victims everywhere down.”

The lawsuit accuses Prince Andrew of sexually assaulting Giuffre at convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein’s mansion in 2001.

But Prince Andrew has previously denied the allegations, telling BBC in 2019 that “It did not happen”.

“I can absolutely categorically tell you it never happened,” Prince Andrew said.

If you are in immediate danger call 000 now.  If you require advice or assistance, the following services offer counselling and support:
Lifeline 24/7 telephone crisis support 13 11 14
1800RESPECT 24/7 phone 1800 737 732
Gold Coast Centre Against Sexual Violence phone 07 5591 1164
Bravehearts phone 1800 272 831

Bill Cosby released from prison after court overturns sexual assault conviction

Bill Cosby has been released from prison after a US court sensationally overturned his sexual assault conviction.

The 83-year-old had served more than two years of his three to 10-year sentence at a state prison in Shippack, Pennsylvania.

He was released less than two hours after Pennsylvania’s highest court overturned his 2018 conviction.

It ruled that Cosby should never have faced charges, after striking a deal with the previous district attorney more than 15 years ago.

The Montgomery County District Attorney who filed the charges against Cosby back in 2015 spoke after the ruling, saying that this decision was not based on the facts of the case.

He’s hopeful that the ruling does not ‘dampen’ the reporting of sexual assaults by other victims.

“We still believe that no one is above the law, including those who are rich, famous and powerful,” District Attorney Kevin Steele said in a statement.

The former television star was seen leaving prison a short time ago.

Related article: Actor-comedian Bill Cosby sent to jail for sexual assault

George Floyd’s murderer sentenced to 22 years jail

The former police officer convicted of the murder of George Floyd in the US has been sentenced to more than 22 years behind bars.

“I’m not basing my sentence on public opinion. I am not basing it on any attempt to send any messages,” the judge said.

“This is based on your abuse of a position of trust and authority and also the particularly cruelty shown to George Floyd.”

It comes two months after Derek Chauvin was found guilty of unintentional second-degree murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter.

Mr Floyd died in May 2020 after Mr Chauvin kneeling on his neck for more than nine minutes during an arrest.

Video of the incident, in which Mr Floyd could be heard begging for help, sparked outrage across the globe, leading to one of the largest protest movements seen in decades.

Chauvin briefly addressed the court before his sentencing, speaking directly to the Floyd family.

“Due to some additional legal matters at hand, I’m not able to give a full formal statement at this stage,” Chauvin said.

“Very briefly though, I do want to give my condolences to the Floyd family.

“There’s going to be some other information in the future that would be of interest.

“I hope things will give you some peace of mind.”

Earlier, Floyd’s seven-year-old daughter Gianna began, appearing in a video recording played for the judge.

“I ask about him all the time,” she said in the video.

“My daddy always used to help me brush my teeth.”

Asked what she would say to him if she could see him again, she said: “It would be I miss you and I love you.”

Two of Mr Floyd’s brother’s also addressed the court, calling for justice.

“My niece, Gianna—she needs closure,” Philonise Floyd said.

“I’m asking that you please find it suitable to give Officer Chauvin the maximum sentence possible.

“My family and I have been given a life sentence. We will never be able to get George back.”

Terrence Floyd spoke directly to Chauvin during his tearful address.

“What was going through your head when you had your knee on my brother’s neck? When you knew that he posed no threat anymore…why didn’t you at least get up?” he said.

Chauvin’s mother, Carolyn Pawlenty, also gave an emotional address to the court, calling for her son to be spared.

“My son is a good man,” she said.

“Derek has played over and over in his head the events of that day. I’ve seen the toll it has taken on him

“I believe a lengthy sentence will not serve Derek well.

When you sentence my son, you will also be sentencing me. I will not be able to see Derek, talk to him on the phone or give him our special hug.

“Plus, when he is released, his father and I will most likely not be here.

“I will do what you told me to do: take care of myself, so I will be here for you when you come home.”

Prosecutors had been asking for a 30-year prison sentence, which would have been double the upper limit indicated in sentencing guidelines for a first-time offender.

The defense had asked for probation after seeking a retrial ahead of an expected appeal.

Keyboard Computer Phone

Major websites back online after widespread outage overnight

News sites around the world are now back online this morning after a major outage took down media heavyweights overnight.

Australian sites such as The Guardian, The Age, Sydney Morning Herald, Channel 10, 10 Play and Nine experienced issues as a result of the crash.

While international platforms such as Amazon, Reddit, Netflix and Pinterest went down, alongside The New York Times, Financial Times, the BBC and CNN.

When it first happened, no one was sure exactly what had happened, with some guessing it may have been a large coordinated attack.

However, it’s since been confirmed that the outage was caused by ‘Fastly’, an American data centre provider.

Those who were affected are still being warned that customers could still have issues throughout today, as techs work to fully fix the problem.

Other sites that crashed include The Verge, Bloomberg, 7Plus, the White House and the UK government’s website, Twitch PayPal, Spotify and Shopify.

Prince Harry and Meghan announce birth of second child

Another royal baby has come into the world over the weekend, with Prince Harry and Meghan announcing the arrival of their daughter.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex welcomed their second child on Friday June 4, confirming the news overnight.

They’ve named their daughter Lilibet ‘Lili’ Diana Mountbatten-Windsor, in honour of The Queen and the late Princess of Wales.

“Lili was born on Friday June 4 at 11.40am in the trusted care of the doctors and staff at Santa Barara Cottage Hospital in Santa Barbara, CA,” the royal announcement reads.

“She weighed 7 lbs 11 oz. Both mother and child are healthy and well, and settling in at home.”

Lilibet has become the first royal baby to be born outside of the United Kingdom.

“This is the second child for the couple, who also have a two-year-old son named Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor,” the announcement continues.

“The Duke and Duchess thank you for your warm wishes and prayers as they enjoy this special time as a family.