Clock ticking as lockdown threat hangs over southeast Qld

Queensland Health officials are racing to prevent another major COVID outbreak with the threat of a snap lockdown hanging over the state’s southeast.

Five new cases were confirmed on Saturday, all linked to a family across two households in Brisbane’s south.

A father was visited by his children last Sunday before they returned to their mother with all testing positive.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


The source of their infection is believed to be a man from New South Wales who had been staying at the father’s house last weekend.

Tests have since confirmed the man, who has returned to New South Wales, is COVID-positive.

Authorities are now investigating exactly what the man was doing in Queensland and how he entered the state.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk resisted placing the southeast into lockdown on Saturday but warned it remained an option.

“There is no lockdown today but in the next 24 to 48 hours we’ll be closely monitoring the situation and if we start seeing any seeding, then we may have to take very quick, fast action,” The Premier told reporters on Saturday. 

More than 50 exposure sites have now been identified across parts of Brisbane including shopping centres, schools, cafes and a dance studio.

The Premier is urging anyone across the southeast with symptoms, no matter how mild, to come forward and get tested.

“This is the time we need everyone to step up,” Ms Palaszczuk said.

“If you are going into a shopping centre, you must wear your mask. If you are going into cafes and restaurants, you must check-in.

“We absolutely need Queenslanders, if anyone has any symptoms whatsoever to go and get tested.”

The full list of exposure sites can be found here.