A YOUNG man has been killed in an accident at a coal mine west of Gladstone, in Central Queensland.
The 27-year-old man died at the Baralaba North mine in the Bowen Basin about 2am on Sunday.
It’s the fourth fatal mining accident in the state in six months – the sixth in the past year.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Contractor Golding confirmed the accident in a statement.
“Our thoughts and deepest sympathy are with the family and work mates of the deceased,” the statement read.
“We are working closely with the Police and the Inspectorate and will provide a further update when possible.”
All operations at the mine have stopped until further notice.
In a separate incident just six hours after the tragedy Baralaba, a man in his 50s was seriously injured after falling from a platform at Glencore’s open-cut coal mine at Collinsville, in the Whitsunday region about 8am.
The worker suffered back and spinal injuries, according to the ABC.
He was taken to Collinsville Hospital before being transported to Townsville Hospital in a serious but stable condition.
In a statement on Sunday, Mines Minister Anthony Lynham said he was “extremely distressed and concerned” that there had been six mining and quarry worker deaths during the last year.
“The loss of a life in any workplace at any time is not acceptable,” he said.
“Families should be able to expect that when their loved ones depart for work that they return safe.”
“I will be following up on discussions held last week by meeting with representatives of the mining industry, including the Queensland Resources Council, CFMEU and AWU and my Department, as a matter of urgency.
“I will be making it absolutely clear that this situation is unacceptable and requires action.
“I will make further announcements on what action will be taken by this Government after I have considered all the relevant information and outcomes from the meeting.
“I offer my deepest sympathy to the family, friends and colleagues of the deceased.”
Queensland Resources Council Chief Executive Ian Macfarlane said the body was working on measures for a “safety reset” in light of the recent tragedies.
“The Queensland Resources Council (QRC) is deeply saddened by the death of a worker at the Baralaba mine and the injury of a miner in a separate incident at Collinsville,” he said.
“No death on a mine site is acceptable (and) our thoughts are with each miner’s family, friends and the local community at this difficult time.
“Industry is working on measures for a safety reset to refocus on safety in light of the recent tragedies.
“QRC meets regularly with the Government and with unions on matters including safety.
“We have redoubled that communication since the tragedy at the Middlemount mine, including discussions last week with both Minister Lynham and the CFMEU.
“QRC will again meet with the Government, unions and workers this week on further actions that can be taken to increase safety across the industry.”
Opposition Leader Deb Frecklington said she was “extremely saddened” at the news and said there would need to be a thorough investigation.
“I am extremely saddened to learn of the traffic death of a mine worker at Baralaba Mine this morning,” Ms Frecklington said.
“There will need to be a thorough investigation into this incident and I’ll be asking the QRC for an urgent briefing in the coming days.
“Today, however, everyone’s thoughts should be with the friends and family of this mine worker.
“My thoughts and well wishes also extend to the mine worker who suffered serious injuries at Collinsville Mine this morning.”