Comm Games renters urged to check insurance

Anyone planning to make a few extra bucks by renting out their accommodation during the Commonwealth Games is being warned to check if they have the correct insurance.

With thousands of people descending on the Coast during April, some savvy home-owners have taken advantage of the spike in numbers to rent out parts of their home to tourists and visitors.

However, lawyers are urging people renting out their place to check and see if their insurance covers a guest who is injured on their property.


Litigation Director at Parker Simmonds Solicitors & Lawyers, Bruce Simmonds, said the temporary landlords should look into getting a WorkCover insurance policy.

“It is possible household insurance might not cover you for people like gardeners, electricians and pool service people who could be classified as employees under WorkCover legislation,” Mr Simmonds said.

“How insurers would view a residential property rented out for a specific event needs to be checked because there’s the risk a claim could be refused,” he said.

The GC2018 Commonwealth Games will be the largest sporting event in Australia this decade, and the biggest competition held on the Gold Coast.