CONFIRMED | Darren Weir handed four-year ban from racing

Darren Weir’s glittering career appears over, after the Melbourne Cup winning trainer was handed a four-year ban by the the Racing Appeals and Disciplinary Board on Wednesday.

The 48-year-old chose not to contest the four charges against him, stemming from a raid on his stables in Victoria last week.

It’s alleged officers discovered electronic jiggers at his property during the search.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


Handing down the penalty, Judge John Bowman on behalf of deputy chairman Brian Forrest, said it was sad it had come to this.

“Until a week ago, you could be described as a leviathan trainer…with hundreds of horses, owners that number in the thousands with a staff of 150.

“You rose from the depths of the Mallee to be Australia’s leading trainer.

“All of this makes your fall even sadder.

“Now you will be remembered for possessing instruments of cruelty and implements associated with a high level of cheating.

“This is clearly a significant breach of the rules.”

Deputy Chairman Josh Bornstein pushed for a five-year ban, arguing Weir should serve a 30-month ban for possessing jiggers and a further 30 months for conduct prejudicial.

The board ultimately agreed on the four-years, with the ban staring immediately.

Weir said he has no intention to appeal the ban as a police investigation continues to hang over his head.