Confirmed: Prince died of fentanyl overdose

Official autopsy results have revealed late pop legend Prince died of an accidental overdose of the powerful painkiller fentanyl.

The 57-year-old singer was found dead April 21 at his Minneapolis-area estate.

The Midwest Medical Examiner’s Officer released a one-page report overnight claiming Prince administered the drug himself, but the date he took it was unknown.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


The office says it has completed its death investigation and has no further comment.

Fentanyl is a synthetic opioid, 50 times more potent than heroin, that’s partly responsible for a recent surge in overdose deaths in some parts of the country.

Following his death, authorities looked in to whether an overdose was to blame and if he had been prescribed drugs in the preceding weeks.

Less than a week before he died, his plane made an emergency stop in Illinois for medical treatment as he was returning from an Atlanta concert.

Reports suggested he was found unconscious on the plane, and first responders gave him a shot of Narcan, an antidote used in suspected opioid overdoses.

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments