WORK to reconstruct the flood-damaged John Muntz Bridge at Oxenford will start next week.
A section of the multi-million dollar bridge on Tamborine-Oxenford Road was washed away by Ex-Tropical Cyclone Debbie last month, along with 25 metres of the riverbank.
Main Roads and Road Safety Minister Mark Bailey said a construction contractor will be on site on Tuesday to start reconnecting the bridge. Work is already underway to repair the gas and water line.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
“Golding have been contracted to start the repair work on Tamborine-Oxenford Road,” Mr Bailey said.
“Residents will notice an increase in activity at the site as work starts to reclaim the 25 metres of river embankment washed away by flooding associated with Cyclone Debbie.”
Mr Bailey said the road would remain closed for the duration of the repair and the work would be completed mid-year, weather permitting.
“I realise the road and causeway closure for any period of time is an inconvenience to residents living in Upper Coomera and Tamborine mountain communities and I thank them for their patience while this work is carried out,” he said.
“I can assure all residents and motorists that everything is being done to get this road reopened as soon as possible.”
Mr Bailey said asphalt would be used on the road surface as a temporary measure to get the road reopened.
“After the new embankment and road has settled, crews will return later in the year to replace the asphalt with concrete,” he said.
“This work will be done without the need to close the bridge.
“I’d like to thank everyone for their patience during this time and look forward to seeing the road reopen.”
Residents/motorists wanting to be kept up to date with the latest information regarding work at John Muntz causeway are encouraged to register to receive SMS alerts and email updates.
The community can subscribe to these updates by sending their details to email@example.com