Cricketer Phil Hughes critical after horror SCG accident

UPDATE: CRITICALLY injured Australian batsman Phil Hughes is currently undergoing emergency brain surgery at St Vincent’s Hospital after a horror on-field accident at the Sydney Cricket Ground.

The 25-year-old collapsed face-first on the pitch after he was struck in the back of the head by a ball from a delivery during Tuesday’s Bupa Sheffield Shield match. 

He was rushed to St Vincent’s Hospital in a critical condition where he underwent a set of scans to establish the extent of damage.


He was then placed in an induced coma before undergoing emergency surgery to relieve swelling on the brain.

His family has not long ago issued a brief statement outside the hospital, with the outcome of the surgery not likely to be known for at least 24 hours, possibly 48. 

The team at myGC extend their sincerest thoughts and well wishes to Hughes’ family and to the wider cricket community.

There’s no further information available at this time.

EARLIER: CRICKETER Phil Hughes has been rushed to hospital in a critical condition after being hit on the head by a short ball at Sydney Cricket Ground this afternoon.

Hughes, 25, was batting for South Australia and had passed 50 when he was hit on the head by a bouncer from New South Wales all-rounder Sean Abbott and collapsed face first onto the pitch.

The left-hander initially put his hands on his knees, before falling down face-first on the pitch. 

The Blues players immediately rushed in to help their former teammate and called for medical help from the dressing rooms.

A NSW Ambulance helicopter carrying a specialist medical team landed on the field to treat Hughes before he was rushed by ambulance to St Vincent’s hospital.

There are reports that CPR was administered before the cricketer was transported.

Hughes’ mother and sister are believed to have been sitting in the crowd at the time of the accident.

All media have been told to stop filming and taking photos of the incident.