A severe weather warning for damaging winds has been issued for people in parts of the Mid North Coast, Hunter, Illawarra, South Coast, North West Slopes and Plains and Northern Tablelands Forecast Districts.
The Bureau of Meteorology warns that damaging winds, averaging 60 to 70 km/h with peak gusts in excess of 90 km/h are expected about northern parts of the ranges, as well as the Hunter coast today.
These conditions are also expected to develop along the southern coastal fringe this afternoon with the winds expected to ease during Thursday.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Locations which may be affected include Batemans Bay, Eden, Moruya Heads, Newcastle, Scone and Maitland.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move vehicles under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep at least 8 metres away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences.
* Report fallen power lines to either Ausgrid on 131 388, or Endeavour Energy on 131 003 or Essential Energy on 132 080, as shown on your power bill.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring your local SES Unit on 132 500.