Delays expected as Gold Coast border checkpoints come tumbling down

MOTORISTS are being warned of possible delays tomorrow as Queensland Police tear down the border checkpoints hundreds of officers have been manning for months.

From 1am, there will be no more border checkpoints or passes as Queensland welcomes residents from Sydney and Victoria back into the state.

Speaking from the border checkpoints in Coolangatta on Monday, Chief Superintendent Mark Wheeler said there will be some delays on the border roads as they remove all of the barricades.


“The big job we have ahead of us is on the M1 where hundreds of metres of concrete barriers are in place,” Wheeler said.

“That will be a fairly lengthy and a little bit of a hazardous operation. That’s why we are going to have police in place to divert the traffic and make sure it’s done safely.

“The traffic will still flow, we will filter two lanes into one.

“They won’t need to show a border pass, so that will free things up considerably.

“I’d ask people just for one more day be a little bit patience. We’re doing everything we can to get all that infrastructure out.

“By the end of tomorrow and into Wednesday, hopefully it will be like we were never hear before.”

The water is already being removed from the 500 metre stretch of barriers along Dixon Street so they can be easily removed in the morning. The Queensland Police and SES tents will also be torn down from 1am.

It’ll be a welcomed move from local residents and businesses, who have been dealing with the daily slow run over the border.

“I really thank the communities, particularly in Coolangatta and the Tweed, for the long suffering daily commute that they’ve had to do,” Chief Supt Wheeler said.

“That’s obviously been a real impact on their lives, it’s changed their pattern of life.

“So, I do thank the community for their patience and understanding. I think they understood what we were trying to achieve.”

However, he warned Queensland Police was prepared to bring the checkpoints back in if needed.

“If there was a significant hotspot declared somewhere and the Chief Health Officer so directed, we would have border control process across the state back in place in 24 hours and those plans have already been developed,” Chief Supt Wheeler said.