UPDATE @ 5.00 AM, February 19 | The body of a 35-year-old Southport man has been found on the Gold Coast overnight.
Members of the public found the man, identified as Doctor Luqman Jubair, in waters off Mermaid Beach before contacting police.
It brings a major search operation to a close, after emergency services spent over 24 hours trying to locate the man who’d gone missing while trying to help a swimmer in trouble on Thursday night.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Police say that Dr Jubair was one of three men who had entered the water in Miami on Thursday night to help a swimmer who’d got into trouble.
The other two men were able to help the swimmer to shore but Dr Jubair disappeared.
Emergency services conceded their hopes of finding Dr Jubair alive had faded on Friday afternoon.
“We obviously hold grave concerns for that individual and it’s a tragic tale where a member of the public has attempted to do the right thing and stepped in to save the life of another person and unfortunately has found themselves ins some difficultly,” Acting Chief Superintendent Wildman told reports on February 18.
A report will now be prepared for the coroner.
EARLIER @ 2.00PM, February 18 | Police concede they hold grave concerns for a man who has been missing in waters off Miami Beach since last night.
The 35-year-old Southport man disappeared after going to the aid of a swimmer who had got into trouble at around 6 o’clock on Thursday night.
The alert was initially raised by a fisherman who first noticed the male swimmer in difficulty.
Police have confirmed the Southport man was one of three men who entered the water to provide assistance.
“Unfortunately what occurred was the male fisherman along with two other males recovered the initial person who was in some difficulty and recovered that person, brought them back to shore but our missing person was unfortunately swept further away from the shoreline out into the ocean itself,” Acting Chief Superintendent Rhys Wildman said.
Lifeguards and emergency services were on the scene within minutes but were forced to suspend the search at around 8pm.
The search resumed at first light this morning but there has been no sign of the man.
“We obviously hold grave concerns for that individual and it’s a tragic tale where a member of the public has attempted to do the right thing and stepped in to save the life of another person and unfortunately has found themselves ins some difficultly.”
Acting Chief Superintendent Wildman insists it is still a search and rescue operation at this time.
EARLIER | A search has resumed for a Good Samaritan who went missing in waters off Miami Beach.
The 35-year-old Southport man was attempting to help a fisherman who had been knocked over by a wave around 6pm on Thursday night.
Several other members of the public went to the aid of the fisherman but the Southport man did not resurface.
A major search overnight failed to find any trace of the man.
That search has recommenced this morning with Water Police searching the sea while Police patrolling the shoreline on all-terrain vehicles
More to come
You can also report information about crime anonymously to Crime Stoppers by calling 1800 333 000 or via crimestoppersqld.com.au 24 hours per day. Crime Stoppers is a registered charity and community volunteer organisation.