Detention Centre cluster grows after new COVID case detected

A coronavirus cluster linked to the Brisbane Youth Detention Centre has grown to 11 with one further confirmed case overnight.

The new cases is a close contact of someone who had already tested positive.

But officials say they are not concerned as that person was already in isolation.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


It follows a massive day of testing with 20,856 people swabbed on Tuesday, the highest daily testing figure in Queensland.

“To have just one of those return positive is fantastic news. We need to keep it up, but for now, I want to thank everyone who waited. I want to particularly thank our scientists, our pathology services and those working in our fever clinics who have worked incredibly hard,” Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said.

“A high testing rate is the only way we can assure ourselves that we are finding all of the positive cases of this virus. So I am very, very pleased that we have now reached that 20,000 tests mark.”

Queensland’s total number of cases is now at 1108 after a historical case was added to the state’s tally.

There are currently 16 active cases across the state.

Health officials are yet to track down the ‘missing link’ between the Brisbane Youth Detention Centre cluster, and the cluster involving the Logan women who lied about their trip to Melbourne.

It comes after testing showed the two clusters were likely from the same strain of COVID-19.

Chief Health Officer Jeanette Young says there has so far been no community transmission from the detention centre cluster, but there is still a danger.

“We need to keep alert for that, there is still a risk over the next week that we will see that because those people were out and about in the community,” Dr Young said.

“As I said yesterday, we actually don’t know what the link is for this cluster. Where did they actually originally get it from? Which means we could have more cases out there in the community that have resulted in this cluster.”

Meantime the Premier has staunchly defended the closure of Queensland’s borders which she says has been vindicated by a court decision in Western Australia.

The Federal Court on Tuesday ruled that Western Australia’s hard border closure was the most effective way of keeping the virus out of that state.

“I’m very pleased with that result because that is exactly what I have been saying, that is exactly what Queenslanders have been saying to me as well – that they want us to keep them safe,” The Premier said.

“So what that means, if we can minimise the virus coming into Queensland, it means it’s keeping the health of our families safe, but also, too, it also means that we are actually allowing the economy to open up here.”

Ms Palaszczuk says she will not be following South Australia’s lead after its Premier said they would look at reopening its borders to New South Wales and the ACT.

“No, because that’s not our health advice.”

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments