LONDON: Three terrorists shot dead after killing 6, injuring 50 in horror attack

UPDATE 5:30PM | AT least two Australians have been “directly affected” by the terrorist attack in London, which saw six people slaughtered, three terrorists shot dead and more than 50 civilians injured in less than 10 minutes.

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull confirmed the news while speaking at a press conference a short time ago.

“There are many Australians in London, 130,000 Australians live in the U.K. and we are aware of many Australians who were in the vicinity of the attack,” he said.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


“At this time, we are aware of reports of two Australians who have been directly affected by this attack.

“One case has been confirmed and the Australian concerned is in hospital. In the other case, we are continuing to make inquiries.

“Our officials will continue to provide every assistance they can to Australians affected by this shocking attack and their families.”

The Department of Foreign Affairs has urged family and friends concerned about loved ones to call 1300 555 135 or +61 2 6261 3305.

UPDATE 3:45pm | EXTRA police have been deployed across London following Saturday night’s terrorist attack.

Three terrorists were shot dead eight minutes after slaughtering at least six people and injuring more than 50 others in the heart of England’s capital city just after 10pm local time.

The trio ploughed a white van into pedestrians on the London Bridge before hurtling towards the Borough Market, which was packed with people enjoying Saturday night celebrations.

The three men then jumped out of the back of the vehicle armed with long knives and embarked on a murderous rampage, slashing the throats of innocent men and women and stabbing countless others.

The London Ambulance Service says it has now transported 48 victims to hospital where they are being treated for various injuries. Many others were treated for less serious injuries at the scene.

A witness recalled the terrifying moment a young woman ran into a pub with horrific injuries.

“A woman probably in her early 20s staggered into the pub and she was bleeding heavily from the neck and from her mouth,” the man told the BBC. “It appeared to myself and my friends that her throat had been cut.”

Heavily-armed police swooped on the scene and confronted the attackers, who were wearing fake suicide vests.

Three terrorists were shot and killed by police within 8 minutes of the first call – they were wearing fake suicide vests.

Ass. Commissioner Rowley said the suspects were shot and killed by police “within eight minutes of the first call”.

“At this stage, we believe that six people have died in addition to the three attackers shot dead by police,” he said.

More than 80 paramedics were deployed to treat the injured on the street, many of whom were seen lying in pools of blood.

A witness filmed the dramatic moment a fleet of ambulances raced towards the London Bridge from her hotel room.

“We are treating this as a terrorist incident and a full investigation is already underway, led by the Met’s Counter Terrorism Command,” Ass. Commissioner Rowley said.

“We are reviewing and planning to strengthen our policing stance across London over the forthcoming days, and there will be additional police and officers deployed across the Capital.”

Videos uploaded to social media show officers storming packed pubs and restaurants with their guns drawn during the attack, ordering terrified diners to seek shelter or run and hide.

Groups of men, women, and children were also seen being escorted through the streets by police with their hands on their heads.”

London Mayor Sadiq Khan issued a statement shortly after the attack, condemning the “barbaric act”.

“This was a deliberate and cowardly attack on innocent Londoners and visitors to our city enjoying their Saturday night,” Mayor Sadiq Khan said.

“I condemn it in the strongest possible terms. There is no justification whatsoever for such barbaric acts.

“My thoughts are with everyone affected, and I’d like to thank the brave men and women of our emergency services who were first on the scene and will be working throughout the night.”

“The situation is still unfolding and I would ask all Londoners and visitors to our city to remain calm and vigilant.”

“I am in close contact with the Met Commissioner and senior officers and am being kept updated on all developments. I will be attending the government’s emergency Cobra meeting later this morning.”

At this stage, no Australians are believed to have been caught up in the horror. The Department of Foreign Affairs has urged family and friends concerned about loved ones to call 1300 555 135 or +61 2 6261 3305.

Anyone who filmed or took photos of the incident on their mobile phones is urged to send it to the police by uploading it to their website at www.ukpoliceimageappeal.co.uk

The now all-to-familiar scenes come less than two weeks since the Manchester bombing at an Ariana Grande concert, which killed 22 people. A charity concert for the victims is due to be held tomorrow.

In March, a man killed four people when he rammed his vehicle into pedestrians on Westminster Bridge, before fatally stabbing a police officer outside Parliament.

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments