“Do not smoke in bed”: a lucky escape after cigarette ignites mattress

Fire fighters have issued a safety warning to people, after a lucky escape in Banora Point early this morning.

Emergency crews were called to a home along Nandina Terrace just before 4.30am, following reports of a fire.

On arrival, the blaze was out, but fire fighters discovered that a mattress had been well alight at one stage.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


It’s understood a person had been smoking on the bed, with the lit cigarette then sparking the flames.

Crews remained on scene to investigate the area, removed the mattress and ventilated the property before leaving.

Fire and Rescue NSW has since issued a safety warning to smokers, asking them not to smoke in bed.

“A very lucky escape with an important message, do not smoke in bed and ensure you have working smoke alarms,” their Facebook post reads.

FIRE SAFETY MESSAGEEarly this morning at 4:20am, fire crews from Banora Point and Tweed Heads were responded to the…

Posted by Fire and Rescue NSW Station 514 Banora Point on Sunday, January 24, 2021

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments