Dog dies after being left tied to clothesline in scorching hot heat

The RSPCA has issued an urgent warning to pet owners about the fatal consequences of heat stress, following the death of a dog that was left tethered to a clothesline in scorching hot heat.

The animal welfare organisation made the confronting discovery today while responding to a call out of a dog in distress in the backyard of a home on Brisbane’s southside.

Upon arrival at the scene, RSPCA Queensland Inspector Ben Newman found the pooch suffering from heat exhaustion after being tethered to a clothesline.


It’s understood the dog had managed to tangle its lead around the clothesline, restricting its movement as temperatures reached 33 degrees.

“No one was home and no food, water or shelter was provided for the dog,” RSPCA Qld said.

The dog was rushed to RSPCA Qld’s veterinary surgery at Wacol, but sadly it was too late and the animal was dead upon arrival.

Chief Inspector Daniel Young said this tragic incident should serve as a confronting warning to pet owners.

“It’s only the second day of summer, please ensure that when animals are unattended they have access to food, water and shelter at all times,” he said.

If you see an animal in distress, contact the RSPCA’s 24/7 Animal Emergency Hotline 1300 ANIMAL.