The search for answers into the 2016 Dreamworld tragedy will continue when an inquest resumes on the Gold Coast today.
Cindy Low, Kate Goodchild, Luke Dorsett and Roozi Araghi died on October 25, 2016 after being thrown from a raft on the Thunder River Rapids Ride.
Dreamworld management and senior supervisors will be called to give evidence during this two week sitting of the inquest.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
The opening two weeks of the inquest in June heard harrowing details about that fateful day.
It was revealed the Thunder River Rapids Ride broke down twice on the day of the fatal collision.
Similar incidents on the ride occurred in 2001, 2004, 2005 and earlier in 2016.
The inquest also heard that a junior ride operator was told not to worry about an emergency stop button which could have brought the ride to a halt in two seconds.
Staff training was a key focus of the opening session of the inquest which also heard staff weren’t given training to deal with emergency situations.
More than 20 witnesses will be called over the next two weeks with the inquest to focus on Dreamworld’s safety policies and procedures.
Dreamworld’s owners Ardent Leisure released a statement on Friday ahead of the resumption of the hearing, reaffirming its commitment to implement all recommendations to come from the inquest.
“Firstly, this will be a difficult time for many and our hearts and thoughts remain firmly with the families and those affected by this tragedy,” said Ardent Chairman Dr Gary Weiss.
“Following the comprehensive three-tier engineering and safety review of rides and attractions that was commenced at the end of 2016, Dreamworld continues to implement parkwide safety initiatives covering rides, attractions, training and safety systems and procedures.”
“We will continue to fully cooperate with the Coroner and counsel assisting throughout the inquest hearings and will implement all recommendations in consultation with WHSQ (Workplace Health and Safety Queensland) and the theme park industry.”