Driver charged with two counts of murder over ‘road rage’ attack

A MAN has been charged with two counts of murder after allegedly killing two people in a suspected road rage attack in northern New South Wales.

The 34-year-old is accused of using his Holden Commodore to run a Mistsubishi Lancer off the Pacific Highway near Halfway Creek, 20km south of Grafton, on Sunday, December 9 last year.

Police said the Lancer left the road, smashed through a fence and rolled before bursting into flames, killing the driver and a passenger, two men aged 42 and 29.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


The driver of the Commodore allegedly left the occupants of the Lancer to die at the scene, with police alleging he drove away without calling emergency services.

Miraculously, though, a 39-year-old woman who was also travelling in the Lancer survived.

She was airlifted to the Gold Coast University Hospital in a critical condition with head and spinal injuries, police said.

Strike Force Kiowa was setup to investigate the circumstances surrounding the crash.

Following extensive inquiries, Strike Force detectives arrested the Commodore driver in Grafton on Wednesday.

While arresting the man, it’s alleged officers also located a loaded firearm in his vehicle.

The 34-year-old was taken to Grafton Police Station and where he was charged with two counts of murder and one count each of recklessly inflict grievous bodily harm and possess loaded firearm in a public place.

He was remanded in custody overnight and was due to appear in Grafton Local Court today.

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments