Eight killed in horror 48 hours on NSW roads

MORE than half a dozen families are tonight mourning the loss of a loved one after eight people were killed in six separate crashes across NSW in the last 48 hours.

The carnage began during the early hours of Friday morning.

Emergency crews were called to the first fatality on a rural road near Cootamundra, in the state’s Riverina, around 12.15am.


Police said a car had smashed into a tree on Muttama Road and burst into flames. The driver, a 17-year-old local man, died at the scene.

He was the only person travelling in the car at the time.

A little over three hours later, a truck driver was killed after his rig rolled and caught fire on the Pacific Highway near Port Macquarie.

The northbound lanes of the highway were closed for several hours while crews worked to remove the driver’s body from the wreckage.

Then, just before 5.30am, two drivers were killed after their vehicles collided on the Princes Highway south of Nowra.

Police said the man and woman died at the scene.

The fourth tragedy struck on a quite cul de sac at Hornsby, on Sydney’s Upper North Shore, on Friday night.

A young man was crushed to death while trying to stop his work ute from rolling down a steep hill.

The 18-year-old was reportedly tinkering on the vehicle outside his family’s Paul Close home when police said it slipped off “whatever it had been held up on”.

The vehicle rolled down the hill and pinned the young man against a brick wall.

The 18-year-old was trapped but still alive when emergency services arrived. Sadly, though, his injuries were too severe and he died at the scene shortly after being released.

The trauma didn’t stop there, with crews called to the scene of yet another fatal accident five hours later, this time at Merriwa, in the state’s Hunter Valley.

A passerby spotted a Ford Falcon sedan crashed on the side of Cullingal Road around 1.30am on Saturday and called triple zero.

Police said the driver, a 34-year-old man, died at the scene.

It’s still not clear exactly when the crash occurred.

The sixth crash was another double fatality – the second in as many days.

It happened near Camden, southwest of Sydney shortly after 7.30 this morning.

Police said two vehicles collided head-on on Burragorang Road at Gelnmore and both drivers died at the scene.

The series of horrific accidents has left police pleading with motorists to slow down, stop, revive, survive and drive to suit the conditions.

Investigations into all six accidents are continuing.

If you have information for Police, please contact NSW Police on 131 444 or provide information using their online form 24 hours per day. 

You can report also information about crime anonymously to Crime Stoppers by calling 1800 333 000 or via nsw.crimestoppers.com.au 24 hours per day. Crime Stoppers is a registered charity and community volunteer organisation.