Queensland has just had its most significant electoral boundary re-alignment in more than 30 years – including adding four more electorates.
The Queensland Redistribution Commission today handed down its ‘final determination‘ on how the electorates should be updated to make sure each of the 3 million voters in Queensland has a fair vote in upcoming elections. The determination will come into force on 16 June.
So how has it affected us on the Gold Coast?
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Well, of the 93 electorates in Queensland (an increase from 89), the Gold Coast area is split into 11 electorates: Bonney, Broadwater, Burleigh, Coomera Currumbin, Gaven, Mermaid Beach, Mudgeeraba, Southport, Surfers Paradise, and Theodore.
Each will now have an average of 33,168 enrolled voters.
- Bonney (31,459 voters): a newly created electorate in the Gold Coast area now sits between the existing Southport and Broadwater districts. It includes parts or all of Arundel, Biggera Waters, Gaven, Helensvale, Labrador, Parkwood, and Southport. It is named after Maude Rose ‘Lores’ Bonney AM MBE who lived much of her life on the Gold Coast and was the first woman to fly solo from Australia to England.
- Broadwater (32,074 voters): includes parts or all of Coombabah, Helensvale, Hollywell, Hope Island, Paradise Point, Runaway Bay, the Southern Moreton Bay Islands, South Stradbroke Island.
- Burleigh (33,512 voters): includes parts or all of Burleigh Heads, Burleigh Waters, Palm Beach, and Tallebudgera.
- Coomera (30,722 voters): includes parts or all of Alberton, Cedar Creek, Coomera, Gilberton, Jacobs Well, Kingsholme, Luscombe, Norwell, Ormeau, Ormeau Hills, Pimpama, Stapylton, Steiglitz, Willow Vale, Wongawallan, Woongoolba and Yatala.
- Currumbin (33,081 voters): includes parts or all of Bilinga, Coolangatta, Currumbin, Currumbin Waters, Elanora, Tallebudgera, Tallebudgera Valley, Tugun, and Currumbin Valley.
- Gavin (31,573 voters): includes parts or all of Carrara, Gaven, Highland Park, Mount Nathan, Nerang, and Pacific Pines.
- Mermaid Beach (33,074 voters): includes parts or all of Burleigh Waters, Mermaid Beach, Mermaid Waters, Miami, Robina, and Robina Parkway.
- Mudgeeraba (34,219 voters): includes parts or all of Advancetown, Austinville, Bonogin, Clagiraba, Gilston, Lower Beechmont, Merrimac, Mudgeeraba, Natural Bridge, Numinbah Valley, Reedy Creek, Springbrook, Tallai, Worongary.
- Southport (32,204 voters): includes parts or all of Ashmore, Benowa, Bundall, Carrara, Main Beach, Molendinar, and Southport.
- Surfers Paradise (32,392 voters): includes parts or all of Broadbeach Waters, Carrara, Clear Island Waters, and Surfers Paradise.
- Theodore (31,114 voters): includes parts or all of Clagiraba, Coomera, Guanaba, Helensvale, Maudsland, Oxenford, Pacific Pines, Upper Coomera, and Wongawallan. The electorate is named after Edward Theodore – a previous Premier of Queensland and Deputy Prime Minister of Australia.
You can read the full Queensland Redistribution Commission determination here to find out more about how and why the changes were made.