The iconic Buskers by the Creek event is returning to the Gold Coast this October, and myGC has been given the exclusive drop on which 11 Aussie musical stars will be performing in the event’s Battle of the Buskers competition.
The competition, to be held at Currumbin Creek Tavern on Friday 13 October will see the select artists in a play-off for the coveted Buskers crown and a slew of prizes worth over $10,000, including a paid spot on the Airlie Beach Festival lineup, and automatic entry to Bluesfest Busking comp.
“Selecting finalists this year was seriously tough. So much talent on the lineup caused ‘lively’ discussion amongst committee members!” said Festival Director, Cindy Jensen.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
“Ultimately we are stoked with the 11 finalists. All are worthy and will indeed make for one hell of an entertaining battle on the 13th, so you should all definitely come cheer them on!”
myGC EXCLUSIVE: The 11 Finalists for 2017 Battle of the Buskers
- ELSKA – Gold Coast multi-instrumentalist and singer-songwriter who mixes harp with the modern technology of a loop pedal creating music that feels contemporary, yet nostalgic.
- Joel James – Melbourne-based one-man-band who plays guitars, bass, ukulele, piano, synths and a 3-piece drum kit all in unison with his loop pedal.
- James Bennett – Newcastle-based performer who sings, and plays guitar, harmonicas and stomp box.
- Tessa Devine – Wollongong performer who uses looped guitar harmonies knitted with soprano harmonies to create an effect described as ‘magical’.
- Mark Ridout & The Rhythm – an uplifting and positive folk/reggae/funk act from Byron Bay, AU, sharing rousing songs inspired by love, nature and self discovery.
- Cecilia Brandolini – Sydney artist, originally from Byron Bay, who dazzles across multiple instruments – piano, violin, and of course ukulele – but has also honed that rarest talent of all; a style and voice of her very own.
- Liv Heyer -Gold Coast singer/songwriter who has won national music competitions, a variety of music awards and is globally recognised for her song-writing.
- The Heart Collectors – With soaring cello, intricate guitar, sparkling mandolin, banjo, and the occasional passionate strike of the tambourine, these four charismatic performers create synergy with a ‘Fleetwood Mac’ meets ‘Peter Paul and Mary’ inspired marriage of rock sensibilities and clean classical precision.
- Daryl James – Fusing gritty rock-blues with raw acoustic roots, and an undeniably funky undercurrent of ska and hip-hop, this Snowdonia artist is captivating, soulful and down to earth.
- Euphoria Under Fire – best friends with a love of music and entertaining. Coming together in 2014 in another friends back yard, the duo have spent the last 2 or so years playing wherever and whenever they can, from local competitions, busking, paid gigs, private and corporate events, music festivals and even a few local radio appearances…and loving every second of it!
- Mistram – Gold Coast-based team with strong, driving harmonies,with velvet vocals alongside dancing swells on the keys and intense guitar jams to create timeless classics for a genre not yet identified.
The final, 12th spot will be offered to the ‘Fan Finalist,’ which will see the artist with the most fan votes on the Buskers By The Creek event page battle it out for the Buskers crown.”
Voting for Battle Of The Buskers’ ‘Fan Finalist’ is open until 5PM on 1 October with all finalists performing at Currumbin Creek Tavern on Friday, 13 October.