Extradited Bikie back on Coast to face court over Broadbeach murder

UPDATE: Mongols bikie Wade Yates-Taui has arrived back on the Gold Coast after being extradited from Los Angeles.

Watch how it all unfolded by clicking here.

The 22-year-old will appear in the Southport Magistrates Court tomorrow to face charges relating to the murder of 28-year-old Max Waller in Broadbeach.


It is alleged Mr Waller had been visiting friends at Carmel by the Sea Apartments on Old Burleigh Road on June 23, 2013 when he left the premises in the early hours of that morning to attend a meeting with other people. It is alleged he returned a short time later having sustained a number of stab wounds.

A 20-year-old man and a 27-year-old man have also been charged with the murder of Mr Waller and will appear in the Southport Magistrates Court tomorrow.

Detective Superintendent David Hutchinson said it has been a long and difficult investigation spanning more than 12 months.

The Crime and Corruption Commission (CCC) and the former Crime and Misconduct Commission made a significant contribution to the investigation, gathering important evidence through coercive hearings.

The CCC called 38 witnesses into hearings, starting in September 2013. Five of those witnesses have been jailed for contempt.

“The CCC’s hearings assisted investigators to establish the motive for this crime, identify the vehicle used, piece together the timeline of events prior to the alleged murder and recover valuable evidence which had been disposed of,” said Detective Superintendent David Hutchinson.


EARLIER: AN alleged Gold Coast Bikie is being extradited from Los Angeles to the Coast in relation to a 2013 murder in Broadbeach.

Mongols bikie and cage fighter Wade Yates-Taui has begun the long journey from a downtown Los Angeles jail to Southport courtroom.

The 22-year-old was removed from Metropolitan Detention Center overnight and will be escorted back to Queensland to face the music over stabbing death of rival bike associate Max Waller.

Details of Yates-Taui’s movement from LA to Brisbane are being kept confidential.

However, there’s reports US Marshals will hand Yates-Taui over to Gold Coast detectives at Los Angeles International Airport and they’ll board a regular commercial flight from LA to Brisbane.

Yates-Taui is expected to appear in the Southport Magistrates Court tomorrow.