Facebook slowly coming back online after near 10-hour outage

UPDATE at 1:10 PM | FACEBOOK is beginning to come back online for millions of users around the world following an unprecedented outage.

Users were locked out of their accounts and left unable to access the service for almost 10 hours on Tuesday after the platform ‘crashed’ about 3am.

Following what is being referred to as the worst outage in the social media giant’s history, Facebook slowly began coming back online for users on Australia’s east coast just before 1pm.


It’s understood some users were still able to access some features of the Facebook app, but the desktop version of the site was offline. The issue also affected Instagram, which is owned by Facebook.

Faceboook was forced to take to Twitter to provide updates on the issue throughout the morning.

The company said the outage was affecting “the Facebook family of apps” and said it was working to resolve the issue as soon as possible.

It is still not clear was triggered the outage. Facebook has refuted claims the company’s server was hacked.

FIRST at 6:55 AM (by Rachel Junge) | SOCIAL MEDIA users around the world are struggling through their day without Facebook.

Millions of people are unable to share photos of their kids, their breakfast, the sunrise, and themselves as the social network works to resolve the issue.

The platform appears to have gone off-line around 3am (AEST), with Facebook forced to deliver updates via Twitter.

“We’re aware that some people are currently having trouble accessing the Facebook family of apps,” the company tweeted.

“We’re working to resolve the issue as soon as possible.”

That Twitter post was followed up an hour later, with another message pouring cold water on speculation their server had been hacked.

“We’re focused on working to resolve the issue as soon as possible, but can confirm that the issue is not related to a DDoS attack.”

Of course, the issue has led to thousands of memes about the ‘first world problem’ and the #facebookdown.