Family home destroyed by fire in Ashmore

Home fire - Kendall Gilding - Seven NEws

HOUSE FIRE: Ashmore home destroyed by fire. IMAGE: Kendall Gilding (7News) SOURCE: Twitter

A TELEVISION left on standby mode is thought to have sparked a fire which destroyed parts of a family home in Ashmore this afternoon while the occupants were sleeping in separate bedrooms.

Firefighters were first called to the Walabah Drive home around 12.45pm.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


Multiple crews arrived to find the single-storey brick house well involved in fire, which took around 30 minutes to extinguish.

It’s understood the fire started in a garage which had been converted into a bedroom and quickly spread to the living room.

Two occupants were home and asleep in separate rooms at the time the fire broke out.

They managed to wake just in time and escape uninjured.

Fire - animals

HOUSE FIRE: Pets rescued from the burning home. IMAGE: Sarah Greenhalgh (10 News) SOURCE: Twitter

There were initial fears that multiple pets were trapped inside the burning home.

Two dogs and a cat have since been reunited with their owners.

There remains concerns for one of two cats which remains missing.

Cat

HOUSE FIRE: Family reunited with their cat after their home went up in flames. IMAGE: Tamra Bow (Nine Gold Coast News) SOURCE: Twitter

Witness Hannah Evans said the home “went up in flames really quickly”.

There are unconfirmed reports a television left on standby mode while the occupants slept may have sparked the blaze.

It comes after a laptop left charging on a bed sparked a fire that destroyed the entire second floor of a Coomera home on Monday night while the occupants were out to dinner.

BROTHERS ESCAPE COOMERA HOUSE FIRE

Fire - Sarah Greenhalgh 10 News

HOUSE FIRE: Fire crews struggle to save the brick home. IMAGE: Sarah Greenhalgh (10 News) SOURCE: Twitter

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments