Father of murdered 6yo girl faces a Gold Coast court charged with her death

UPDATE: A FATHER accused of killing one of his young daughters and trying to murder the other at a home on Brisbane’s northside has been remanded in custody.

The girl’s mother found the 6-year-old girl dead in the bedroom she shared with her 8-year-old sister at their Kedron home on Monday morning.

Their 52-year-old father, who cannot be named for legal reasons, is said to have left the home just hours before the girl’s mother made the horrific discovery.


He was later found in the Gold Coast hinterland and taken to hospital for treatment for unknown injuries.

The man appeared in the Southport Magistrates Court this morning to face one count of murder of his six-year-old daughter and one count of the attempted murder of his eight-year-old daughter.

The father was remanded in custody.

EARLIER: THE father of a six-year-old girl who was found dead in a home in Brisbane’s north will face a Gold Coast court on Tuesday charged with her murder.

Police launched a search for the 52-year-old after the girl’s mother discovered the girl’s lifeless body in her bedroom at around 8am on Monday, about three hours after police believe her father left the Kedron home in his car.

The mother, 36, called for an ambulance after making the grim discovery in the bedroom her two daughters shared.

He was later found in the Hinterland after a passerby saw someone acting suspiciously in a parked car.

He was taken to the Gold Coast University Hospital at about midday, and then reportedly transported to the Surfers Paradise police station late in the afternoon.

The 52-year-old will face Southport Magistrates Court on Tuesday, charged with one count each of murder and attempted murder.

It’s believed the latter charge relates to the attempted murder of his eight-year-old daughter, who lived in the same bedroom as her younger sister.

Acting Detective Superintendent Geoff Sheldon said the girl had no obvious signs of injury and investigators were working to determine how she died.

“There’s no immediate cause of death,” he said outside the Sturt Street home.

“We’re treating the whole death as very, very serious, as you would with any death of a child of such tender years.”

The girl’s distraught mother and eight-year-old sister have been speaking with police.

“As you could imagine they are just beside themselves with grief,” Acting Det Supt Sheldon said.

There was no history of domestic violence or anything else to indicate welfare concerns, he said.