Concerns are growing the South East may be plunged into a snap COVID-19 lockdown, with reports multiple people linked to a 13-year-old schoolgirl have now also tested positive.
Queensland officials confirmed the girl had been diagnosed with the virus yesterday and had been infectious while attending St Thomas More College in Sunnybank.
All students, teachers and their families have now been forced into home quarantine for 14 days as authorities scramble to contain a potential outbreak.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
According to a letter sent to parents overnight, multiple people who attended the college have now tested positive.
It comes after Griffith University confirmed in a statement that a staff member at its Nathan campus had been diagnosed with COVID-19.
In an email, the university said the employee was a “close family contact of a confirmed case identified this morning”.
“We have offered support to our colleague and their family during this difficult time,” the statement said.
It’s understood the employee attended a meeting in the N72 Glyn Davis building and also visited the N63 Business 3 building on Wednesday.
Both buildings have been closed in order to undergo deep cleaning this weekend, with all students and staff at the university being told to immediately get tested if they experience any virus symptoms.
Mystery surrounds how the 13-year-old girl contracted the virus, with genomic sequencing results due back today hoping to shed further light on the infection.
Further details are expected to be revealed by Queensland health officials at this morning’s COVID-19 press conference.
Several new venues, including Griffith University, have been added to the state’s exposure site list overnight.
Visitors to prisons, hospitals, aged and disability care facilities have now been restricted in the Logan City Council area and the Brisbane City Council, south of the Brisbane River.
The restriction kicked in at 1.00am this morning in a bid to protect the most vulnerable.