Fire Emergency Declaration scaled back across Qld

The State of Fire Emergency Declaration has been lifted across most of Queensland, thanks to more favourable conditions.

The declaration has been lifted from 36 of 42 local government areas, including the Gold Coast, as of this morning.

It was initially imposed across a large stretch of the state on November 9, to ban activities that could cause fires to ignite, including the use of power tools, barbecues and naked flames outdoors.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


Acting Queensland Fire and Emergency Services (QFES) Commissioner Mike Wassing says the declaration now only applies to a handful of areas.

“The State of Fire Emergency Declaration now applies only to Toowoomba, Lockyer Valley, Somerset, Ipswich, Southern Downs and Scenic Rim local government areas.

“Significant blazes continue to burn in these areas and the bushfire risk remains high, which is why the Declaration will continue until further notice.

“The Declaration has been cancelled in areas where the bushfire danger has fallen,” Mr Wassing said.

Mr Wassing said residents in the 36 local government areas where the Declaration had been lifted might still be under local fire bans.

“Local Fire Bans have been re-introduced in many local government areas that were covered by the Declaration,” he said

“Residents should speak with their local fire wardens and visit the Rural Fire Service website to determine what restrictions are in place,” Mr Wassing said.

A Local Fire Ban is still in place for the Gold Coast and Logan, banning open fires.

Though lawnmowers and other power tools may now be used carefully.

For more information, click here.

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments