Pizza oven sparks blaze at popular Surfers Paradise pub

UPDATE: Trams have resumed in Surfers Paradise after coming to a halt following a fire at a popular Irish pub this morning.

Fire crews were called to Waxy’s Irish Pub just before 10.45am after a large amount of smoke was seen billowing from the building.

Mark Bennets, Station Officer from Surfers Paradise Fire Station, said that crews entered the building and discovered the blaze in the flume of a pizza oven.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


It was quickly extinguished, with Mr Bennets stating that it “looked a lot worse than it actually was”.

Firies praised the actions of the pub manager, who managed to get everyone out of the building straight away.

The area has since been deemed safe, with Surfers Paradise Boulevard reopened.

 

EARLIER: A fire has broken out at a popular Irish pub on the Gold Coast this morning.

Fire crews raced to Waxy’s Irish Pub in Surfers Paradise just before 10.45am after smoke was seen billowing from the building.

PHOTO: Supplied / myGC

PHOTO: Supplied / myGC

It’s believed the blaze, which has since been extinguished, started in a pizza oven.

Trams have been brought to a halt in both directions between Surfers Paradise North and Cavill Avenue.

Paramedics are at the scene, however there have been no reports of any injuries.

Motorists and pedestrians are advised to avoid the area.

There are no further details available at this time.