NSW has recorded four new locally acquired cases of COVID-19 in the last 24 hours out of more than 26,000 tests.
Two cases have been linked to known clusters. A woman in her 50’s and a teenage boy are household contacts of a previous case and had been in isolation for their full infectious period.
An addition case was linked to the Croydon cluster, a child who was a close contact of a previously recorded case. They were also in isolation.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
One case remains under investigation, a gentleman in his 40’s from the northern zone of the Northern Beaches who was mentioned yesterday.
Seven other cases were detected in hotel quarantine.
Acting Premier John Barilaro announced that anyone who is in New South Wales and has visited the Greater Brisbane area since January 2 is obliged to self isolate given the three-day lockdown being imposed for the region in Queensland.
Those affected are being asked to stay at home and only leave for essential reasons such as going out to exercise but they must wear a mask.
“If you are in the midst of travelling from Brisbane as we speak to New South Wales and you come from those areas, we expect you to abide by the isolation rules that would have applied to you as if you were in Brisbane,” Mr Barilaro said.
“For those that will be flying in .. we will be asking people as they come off those flights for the information, because if something does occur it will be very important that we respond quickly in relation to that.”
However, the Acting Premier said there will be no harsh border closures.
“I am sure today there were people calling on New South Wales to close its border to Queensland,” he said.
“At no point during this pandemic have we ever had a new jerk reaction or treated the border like a light switch.
“If you are driving over the border .. please try to document exactly travel itinerary so that if something occurs and we get in touch, you are able to accurately give us your itinerary to help us minimise any impacts going forward.”
Meanwhile, the lockdown for the Northern Beaches will come to an end at 12.01 on Sunday despite the mystery case in the area.
“Clearly, we were hoping there would be no reservations about opening up the northern and of the Northern Beaches but of course, the case of the gentleman in his 40s yesterday returning a positive case has caused public health officials a degree of anxiety, a degree of concern,” Health Minister Brad Hazzard said.
“But the view has been taken on the basis of the response we saw, particularly before Christmas, from the Northern Beaches residents in their willingness and capacity to come out and get tested in enormous
“Public health has confidence sufficiently that if we can expect a similar response from the Northern Beaches, then we can, with confidence and reservations, open up.
“The people of the Northern Beaches will become part of the Greater Sydney circumstances and have the same rules applying to that area as applies for the rest of Sydney.
Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant also announced fragments of the virus have been detected in sewage in the state’s south coast.
The catchment takes sewage from Narrawallee, Milton, Mollymook Beach, Ulladulla, Kings Point, Burrill Lake, Dolphin Point and Lake Tabourie.
Dr Chant urged anyone with symptoms to come forward for testing.
“It is pleasing to see those high rates of testing… but we need to continue to come out, and the broader western and south-western Sydney is critical,” Dr Chant said.
“As well as the northern zone of the Northern Beaches, just to give us that assurance we are not missing unrecognised chains of transmission.”