Fully jabbed enter final NSW lockdown day

NSW has tipped over 90 per cent first-dose COVID-19 vaccination coverage as the state’s fully vaccinated residents prepare for the final day of a 15-week lockdown.

The state on Friday hit 90.14 per cent first-dose coverage among those aged 16 and over, with 72.75 per cent fully jabbed.

Having surpassed the 70 per cent double-dose vaccination milestone earlier this week, stay-at-home orders will cease for NSW’s fully vaccinated population from Monday.


Greater Sydney was locked down on June 25 due to the current Delta strain outbreak – more than 15 weeks ago.

Premier Dominic Perrottet on Saturday flagged the conclusion of lockdown would likely cause an increase in COVID-19 transmission and urged people to proceed safely.

However, he was confident NSW’s high rates of vaccination would ensure hospitalisation rates remain manageable, despite complaints the accelerated opening could strain resources.

NSW reported 580 new locally acquired cases of COVID-19 and 11 deaths in the 24 hours to 8pm on Friday.

“We believe that our conservative approach here ensures we keep people safe but importantly gets people back into work as quickly as possible,” Mr Perrottet told reporters.

“This journey is not over … there is a long way to go.”

Gyms, cafes, restaurants, pools, shops, hairdressers and beauticians will reopen from Monday and people will be allowed to venture more than five kilometres from their home.

Indoor and outdoor gatherings will also be permitted, with caps increased earlier this week to 10 and 30 people respectively.

Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant waved away questions she was not involved in the changes to the state’s roadmap, saying she briefed the new premier for close to two hours.

Dr Chant also said every increment above 90 per cent vaccination coverage was “just going to be a bit harder”, and challenged NSW to match the ACT record of 96 per cent.

She also confirmed authorities were investigating the source of a new Delta virus variant uncovered in NSW on Friday.

It’s been linked back to a person who returned from overseas, indicating a hotel quarantine leak may be at fault.

© AAP 2021