Gary Ablett uncertain about AFL future after 2017

There is no doubt Gary Ablett struggled with injury throughout 2016.

Now he says he could walk away from the game at the end of the 2017 season, despite being contracted to play for the Suns until the end of 2018.

Ablett has been widely criticised since last week’s 102-point loss to Greater Western Sydney.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


He spoke to Nine’s The Footy Show on Thursday night, saying “it does hurt”…”when you hear anyone speaking about you like that it would be lying to say that it didn’t hurt”.

The veteran added “the game’s given so much to me and I’m hoping that people can say at the end of my career that I’ve given a bit back to the game as well”.

Ablett stressed that he is super competitive and doesn’t like to lose.

“I’m sure if you were to look at footage of any team that loses by 100 points, you will find footage of guys with their head down because we’re competitive as footballers and we want to win games.”

Ablett failed to secure a trade request back to Geelong at the end of last season.

He admitted “I’ve got some things going on in my life that I’m not going to elaborate on, but they are my No.1 priority at the moment”.

“I said to the club (last year) that I’m super committed to this year … I’m going to give it everything.