Girl, 7, abducted by convicted sex offender

UPDATE at 5:35 PM | THE grandmother of a seven-year-old girl allegedly abducted by a convicted sex offender and taken to an abandoned house in Sydney’s west has spoken out about the terrifying ordeal.

The young girl was playing in the street outside her grandmother’s house at Macquarie Fields when she was snatched in broad daylight on Friday afternoon.

Speaking to reporters, the girl’s grandmother said she was sitting in her front yard, watching the kids play when she was alerted by two boys, who are neighbours, that her granddaughter had been taken.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


“She was literally in my driveway, skated in the gutter one driveway away then the man walked up and asked her, ‘do you want to see something cool?’,” the grandmother said.

“She walked that little bit then he grabbed her by the hand and dragged her inside (the abandoned house) and slammed the door.”

The girl’s grandmother ran down to the house with the two boys and frantically tried to get inside to rescue her granddaughter while on the phone to police.

“We were banging. The boys were kicking the door in. We were smashing the windows,” she said.

“It was quiet for what seemed like an eternity then I heard her muffled sound … I heard her yell out nanny.”

The woman said her granddaughter managed to break free from the man’s group and run out the front door. She said the terrifying ordeal was all over within 10 minutes.

“The boys grabbed him and we had him barricaded on the veranda. The whole time I was talking to the police to make sure that he didn’t escape until the police came.”

In a statement on Saturday morning, NSW Police said “it’s alleged the man had partially removed the girl’s clothes” while inside the house.

Christopher Irwin, 34, was arrested at the scene and charged with taking a child with intent to remove parental control and remaining in a building with intent to commit an indictable offence.

Irwin, who the ABC earlier revealed had previously been convicted of using a carriage service to access child pornography, was also charged with two counts of breaching conditions of the child offender register.

He was formally refused bail in Parramatta Bail Court on Saturday morning and will appear in Campbelltown Local Court next week.

The court heard how Irwin had allegedly told the girl: “be quiet and I’ll wait for your nan to go and then I’ll let you go”.

The girl’s grandmother said the children usually played in her backyard but were unable to because of a recent snake sighting.

“For all those people that say, ‘where’s the supervision’, all the people in the street can verify I sit in my yard when my kids ride the bikes.”

“It was just that split second that she was in the driveway, he’s taken that opportunity and grabbed her.”

FIRST at 2:30 PM | A CONVICTED child sex offender has allegedly abducted a seven-year-old girl from a home in Sydney’s west and taken her to an abandoned house where it’s further alleged he started to undress her.

The man, identified by the ABC as Christopher Irwin, 34, allegedly grabbed the girl while she was playing outside a relative’s home on Bunya Place in Macquarie Fields on Friday afternoon.

It’s alleged the man took the child by the hand and led her into a nearby abandoned property about 4pm.

“It’s alleged the man had partially removed the girl’s clothes,” police said in a statement.

“A witness observed this occurring, and notified a relative of the girl, who attended the location and located the girl with the man.”

The man was detained until police arrived and arrested him.

He has since been charged with one count each of taking a child with intent to remove parental control and remaining in a building with intent to commit an indictable offence, as well as two counts of breaching conditions of the child offender register.

The ABC revealed Irwin had previously been convicted of using a carriage service to access child pornography.

He appeared in Parramatta Bail Court on Saturday morning where he was formally refused bail.

The court heard Irwin – who has an intellectual disability – came across a group of children playing on Bunya Place and asked the young girl, “Do you want to see something cool?”.

“The judge said despite saying no, Irwin took the girl into an empty property he had visited 14 times in the recent past,” the ABC reported.

The judge acknowledged Irwin’s intellectual disability made him vulnerable in custody but said that did not outweigh the risk he posed to the community and to the victim if he were to be released on bail.

The 34-year-old will appear before Campbelltown Local Court next Wednesday.

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments