A string of new exposure sites has been added to the Queensland Health website overnight, as parts of the state wake to the first day of a snap three-day lockdown.
The whole of the southeast region, along with Townsville, Palm Island and Magnetic Island, are now only allowed to leave their homes for four essential reasons until Friday at 6.00 pm.
Related article: Gold Coast, SE Qld, Townsville plunged into lockdown
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
It’s hoped the lockdown measures will allow contact tracers to get on top of the state’s recent outbreak of the highly infectious Delta strain, which has also been wreaking havoc on the Greater Sydney area.
Overnight, more exposure sites have been added to the Queensland Health website, including a number of venues at the Chermside Shopping Centre in Brisbane.
A positive case visited several stores on Monday afternoon.
For the Gold Coast, the times have been adjusted for the two exposure sites in Broadbeach; the Oasis Shopping Centre and the BWS bottle shop.
Anyone who visited those locations between 1.30 pm and 1.55 pm (Oasis) and 1.40 pm and 2.00 pm (BWS) on Saturday, June 26 is being urged to get tested.
Queensland Health is still yet to give any details about why those sites are listed, despite no positive cases being out and about in the Gold Coast community.
“We’re still working all those out, this is why lockdowns are so important,” Qld Health Minister Yvette D’Ath told 1029 Hot Tomato’s Galey, Emily Jade and Christo this morning.
“It allows everyone to just stay where they are while the contact tracers find all those close and casual contacts, making sure they get tested and finding out whether they’re positive or not.
However, the Health Minister couldn’t clarify whether or not there has been a close contact on the Gold Coast, but insists the Gold Coast does have to be included in the lockdown.
“We just don’t want to take the risk, we know that if we do this – we do it quickly, we go hard – then we’ve got much more of a chance of containing this.
“And also by including the Gold Coast, we’re not having people flooding out of Brisbane down to the Gold Coast thinking they’re escaping the lockdown,” Minister D’Ath said.
Authorities will be expected to provide more information regarding those sites in this morning’s press conference.
It’s understood the family and close friends of an unvaccinated casual worker from a Covid ward in Brisbane have been tested overnight.
At least the worker’s brother has so far returned a positive result so far.
For updated information on new exposure venues, visit the Queensland Health website here.