Gold Coast Mayor slams infected Sydney man who snuck into Qld

The Gold Coast Mayor has lashed out at a New South Wales man, who snuck into Queensland illegally and created a number of exposure sites here.

Over the weekend, various sites popped up in several Gold Coast suburbs, linked to three infectious people.

The most recent case was confirmed this morning, in a man who’d recently returned from China.


The list of exposure sites now includes several major shopping centres such as Pacific Fair, Harbour Town, Q Super Centre and Westfield Helensvale.

At least 18 contact tracing alerts have also been issued for the Goodstart Early Learning child care centre in Parkwood.

You can see the full list of Gold Coast exposure sites here.

However, many of the sites are linked to a NSW man who illegally escaped the hotspot area of Greater Sydney.

It’s understood he travelled to Ballina despite knowing he was a close contact of a positive case.

He was then picked up at Ballina Airport by a Qantas flight attendant before the pair spent time on the Gold Coast and in Brisbane while infectious.

It’s forced hundreds of Gold Coasters into isolation today after the exposure sites were confirmed yesterday.

While thousands of others are now coming forward for testing.

Gold Coast Mayor Tom Tate says this is incredibly disappointing.

“Frustration is a very kind word for this kind of behaviour, it’s selfish behaviour and for me – how can someone be that selfish in a pandemic? – it’s beyond logic.

“So I leave it to the police, to deal out the harshest punishment available to them,” the Mayor said.

It’s not yet known if this exposure will force the Gold Cost back into another snap lockdown, but the Mayor is hopeful we can all do the right thing in the short term to avoid more pain in the long term.

“I know they’re (Qld Health officials) analysing it right now, my comment has always been – safety first.

“And if it means there will be harsher restrictions for the shorter term, then we just got to knuckle down and get to it,” the Mayor said.

Earlier article: Gold Coast man confirmed as latest local COVID case in Qld