Gold Coast road rage victim Brock Prime has ‘long road ahead’, says family

UPDATE at 5:50 PM on FRIDAY | GOLD Coast road rage victim Brock Prime remains in intensive care after being woken from an induced coma.

The 29-year-old suffered horrific head injuries after he was allegedly bludgeoned with a metal bar on the side of the M1 at Yatala last month.

At the time of the attack, police warned Mr Prime’s family that his injuries were so severe, he could die.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


The tradie spent the next three weeks in an induced coma at Gold Coast University Hospital where yesterday, he was woken from his coma and opened his eyes for the first time since the attack.

A photo posted to Mr Prime’s Instagram account shows the 29-year-old with most of his head shaved, a visible head wound where he’s skull was fractured and tubes coming from his nose.

(Source: Instagram)

Mr Prime’s family released a statement on Friday, thanking the community for their incredible support.

“We’d like to take this opportunity to thank the hospital staff and the community for their incredible ongoing support,” the statement said.

“From simple things like mowing our lawn, to the meals showing up in our freezer to the fundraisers being thrown – it’s all been incredible.

“We’re especially grateful to the Mudgeeraba Redbacks football club and Brock’s concreting family.

Brock Prime before the attack | Source: Supplied

“We’d ask the media to respect our privacy while we concentrate our efforts on helping Brock to recover.

“He remains in the Intensive Care Unit and has a long road ahead.

“We are hopeful that he will be able to tell his own story in his own words when he’s ready.”

Three men have since been arrested and charged with grievous bodily harm over the February 24 attack.

FIRST at 4:30 PM on THURSDAY | A GOLD Coast man who was left for dead on the side of the Pacific Motorway following a brutal road rage attack last month has reportedly woken from a coma.

Brock Prime, 29, was allegedly bludgeoned over the head with a metal bar by the occupants of a white van on the side of the M1 at Yatala around 9.30pm on Saturday, February 24.

He spent the next three weeks in a critical condition, fighting for his life in the intensive care unit at the Gold Coast University Hospital.

At the time, police said the attack was “very serious” and warned Mr Prime could die from his injuries.

But a photo posted to the 29-year-old’s Instagram account on Thursday morning showed him awake.

The image, posted without a caption, shows Mr Prime with his eyes open, most of his head shaved with a visible head wound and tubes coming from his nose.

(Source: Instagram)

The post has attracted comments from dozens of concerned friends, relieved to see their mate is alive.

“Omg brock I cant believe you finally woke up,” one woman wrote.

“Thank god you’re awake. I was going to visit you in hospital but you were still in a coma. I’m seriously glad your okay lots of love for ya.”

Brock Prime before the attack (Source: Instagran)

Brock Prime before the attack (Source: Instagram)

“You were always a tough bloke mate and to survive this ordeal just reiterates it even more. Hang in there mate xoxo,” wrote another.

It’s understood Mr Prime remains in a serious but stable condition as he continues to recover from his injuries at the Gold Coast University Hospital.

Three men have since been arrested and charged with grievous bodily harm over the February 24 attack.

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments