Gold Coast students in mass overdose expelled from private collage

SEVEN students who overdosed on drugs at a prestigious private school on the Gold Coast have been expelled.

The Year 10 students aged 14 and 15 were all hospitalised after overdosing on the Russian ‘winder drug’ Phenibut at Saint Stephen’s College at Upper Coomera last Wednesday.

Of the seven students, four of them were admitted to hospital in critical conditions and spent several days in intensive care at Gold Coast University Hospital.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


Headmaster Jamir Dorrington confirmed on Friday afternoon – nine days after the near fatal overdose – that all seven students had since been expelled after being released from hospital.

Mr Dorrington said the school’s priority to focus on the students’ health before dishing out punishment.

He revealed he had since held meetings with the teenagers and their parents in order to, quote, “discuss their situation and apply the school’s Drug Misuse Policy”.

Phenibut is a central nervous system depressant with anxiolytic and sedative effects and is used to treat anxiety and insomnia in Russia, Ukraine and Latvia.

The drug, usually sold under the brand names Anvifen, Fenibut and Noofen, is banned in Australia.

Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments