The Gold Coast is on COVID alert once again after a truck driver tested positive.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk confirmed the case to Queensland Parliament on Thursday.
“He lives on the Gold Coast but had travelled from Sydney. He is currently back in New South Wales,” she said.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
“He was potentially infectious in the community on the Gold Coast for five days from August 28th to the 1st of September.
“We are contacting him to find where he has been in Queensland.”
Health Minister Yvette D’Ath said 46-year-old’s whereabouts are now under investigation.
“The man is currently in New South Wales and Queensland Health is seeking to locate this man to investigate his exposure sites and where he has been so we can commence contact tracing,” Ms D’Ath told parliament.
“We will, of course, put up any exposure sites once we make contact with this gentleman.
“We ask people, especially in the Gold Coast area, to be checking the website regularly.”
This case is in addition to the NSW truck driver who tested positive and spent a day in the community around Goondiwindi, Ipswich and Brisbane last Thursday. That case also remains under investigation.
It was also revealed a family of five on the Gold Coast have been forced into hotel quarantine after they allegedly travelled to Melbourne and managed to sneak back into the state.
“Authorities are seeking information from a family of five on the Gold Coast,” Ms D’Ath said.
“Early indications are this family recently travelled to Melbourne before returning undetected to the Gold Coast via an inland route.
“Unfortunately this family is refusing to be tested and, so far, is not co-operating with authorities and refusing to reveal where they’ve been.
The children in this family also attended The Australian International Islamic College in Carrara on August 31.
Students at that school have been told to stay home today following the revelations.
It’s believed authorities got the tip-off about this family because the students had boasted about their travel but because the family is refusing to co-operate, their exact movements remain unclear.
“This is a difficult situation,” Ms D’Ath added.
“We know some of the family members are unwell.
“But we don’t know if it’s COVID. We have to treat it as if it is.”
The Premier also urged the family to co-operate with officials.
“The family has now been placed into mandatory 14-day hotel quarantine and I urge them to co-operate with authorities,” Ms Palaszczuk said.
“This is very serious.
“We need this family to co-operate with authorities.”