UPDATE @ 9.30am: SEVENTEEN people are dead after a gunman opened fire at a high school in Florida.
Local police confirmed the tragic news at a press conference and said the shooter, a 19-year-old male, had been taken into custody after a mass police operation.
According to Broward sheriff Scott Israel, the gunman was a former student of Stoneman Douglas High in Parkland, which is the high school where the attack unfolded.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
They said he had been expelled for disciplinary reasons, although they weren’t yet sure of the specifics.
It’s reported to be the 18th shooting at a high school in the US this year.
— The Today Show (@TheTodayShow) February 14, 2018
EARLIER @ 6.30am: THERE are reports at least 20 people have been injured in a horror shooting at a high school in the US.
The attack is understood to have happened at Stoneman Douglas High in Parkland, Florida.
Broward Sheriff’s Office said the shooter remains at large, with a mass police operation underway in the area.
“BSO is working a developing incident regarding a report of active shooter located at 5901 Pine Island Rd, Parkland. Here’s what we know so far: deputies are responding to reports of a shooting at Stoneman Douglas High. There are reports of victims,” the statement reads.
Photos and videos posted to social media show students running from the school with their hands above their heads.
More to come.
BREAKING: White House says President Trump has been ‘made aware’ of the possible school shooting in South Florida. – MSNBC pic.twitter.com/rs0hsKbDG7
— TheResistance Report (@AntiTrumpReport) February 14, 2018
MORE: Aerial footage above Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shows students running from grounds of campus after authorities respond to report of shooting in Parkland, Florida https://t.co/1Y5NBGZMdE pic.twitter.com/D62xmQxo9K
— CBS News (@CBSNews) February 14, 2018
— ABC News (@ABC) February 14, 2018