THERE was drama in Surfers Paradise this morning after a fire ripped through a unit on the 13th floor of an apartment building.
Firefighters were called to reports of a fire at the Wyndham Hotel on the corner of Surfers Paradise boulevard and Markwell Avenue just after 9.30am on Friday.
It’s believed a faulty fridge may have sparked the blaze, which quickly engulfed the 13th floor unit.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
Around 200 holidaymakers were evacuated from the 16 storey building while crews worked to contain the blaze and extinguish the flames.
Four Qld Fire and Emergency Service crews responded to the scene, along with police and paramedics.
A Queensland Ambulance spokesperson said paramedics were on standby but nobody was injured and they were not required.
No one is believed to have been in the unit when the fire started.
Fire crews have since handed the hotel back to the building manager.