ID scanners already working in local bars ahead of July 1 deadline

The Queensland Government is praising the implementation of ID scanners in licenced venues, after it stopped people on banning orders entering pubs and clubs 22 times on the weekend.

Attorney-General and Minister for Justice Yvette D’Ath says plenty of venues within the Safe Night Precincts, including in Surfers Paradise, had already signed up to the technology ahead of looming July 1 deadline.

“It is encouraging to see most venues have signed the contracts and had the ID scanners installed,” Ms D’Ath said.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


“Some licenced venues are already using the ID scanners and they are already stopping people on banning orders entering our venues.

“On the weekend, about 50 venues across the state were using the scanners and banning orders were flagged with staff 22 times.

“That is 22 times someone with a violent history could have entered a licenced venue but was stopped.

“ID scanners are designed to keep patrons who have a history of violence out of our venues to ensure people can have a fun and safe night out.

“From Saturday, patrons will be required to have their ID scanned at premises in Safe Night Precincts for both entry and re-entry after 10pm. If you’re going out on the town make sure you are carrying ID.”