Infected Sydney man to be charged over trip to Byron

A COVID-infected Sydney man who travelled to Byron Bay and forced the region into lockdown is set to be charged by Police.

The 52-year-old’s positive case was confirmed on Monday after he had been in the Byron community for at least five days.

His two children have now also been infected with all three being treated in Lismore Base Hospital.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


Police have today confirmed the man will be served with a Future Court Attendance Notice for breaching public health orders

“Following inquiries, including appeals for public assistance, the 52-year-old man from Rose Bay will be charged after he allegedly travelled from Sydney to Byron Bay and the surrounding area, without a reasonable excuse and in contravention of the public health orders,” Assistant Commissioner Peter McKenna said.

“The Future Court Attendance Notice will be served on the man at the Lismore Base Hospital with strict bail conditions.

The man will front Lismore Local Court September 13.

“I would appeal to all members of the community, regardless of where you come from, to abide by these public health orders. It’s the only way we’re going to stop the virus from spreading in regional New South Wales and keep our community safe,” Ass. Comm. McKenna said.