Investigations continue after Southport house gutted by ferocious fire

UPDATE @ 26 April, 6.30 AM: Investigations are ongoing this morning after an abandoned house was gutted by fire in Southport on Wednesday.

The home went up in flames on the corner of North and Norman streets just after 10.30am.

Several fire crews managed to extinguish the flames, however the blaze was so severe it completely destroyed the structure.


One firefighter had to be treated by paramedics for smoke inhalation, however luckily he did not require transport to hospital and no one else was injured in the inferno.

A 17-year-old boy was detained by police at the scene, however he has since been released and no charges have been laid.

EARLIER @ 25 April, 12.30 PM: AN abandoned house has partially collapsed after it was gutted by fire in Southport this morning.

The derelict home went up in flames on the corner of North and Norman streets just after 10.30am.

Firefighters battled built-up traffic to get to the scene and found the house well alight, with massive flames shooting out onto the main road.

Source: Supplied / JinLaverne Rosello

Source: Supplied / JinLaverne Rosello

The inferno sent huge plumes of thick black smoke soaring into the sky above the CBD.

Neighbours were evacuated while crews fought the fire which quickly engulfed the property.

Photos obtained by myGC show panicked residents fleeing with their pets in their cars.

Source: Supplied/JinLaverne Rosello

One firefighter was overwhelmed by the heat and had to be carried away from the burning house.

He was assessed by paramedics at the scene but thankfully did not require hospitalisation.

A cordon was set up around the scene to keep onlookers away with fears of asbestos in the building.

Motorists were also urged to steer well clear of the area while emergency crews responded.

Local streets quickly became jammed as North St was closed and drivers were diverted around the scene.

The cause of the fire was not immediately known. According to locals, ‘street kids’ frequent the property.

A 17-year-old boy was detained by police at the scene while officers were still searching for two other teens who were seen running from the house before it burst into flames.

The building was totally destroyed in the inferno although thankfully, no one was seriously injured.

Source: Supplied / Queensland Ambulance

No further information was available at the time of writing.

If you have information for Police, please contact Policelink on 131 444 or provide information using their online form 24 hours per day.

You can also report information about crime anonymously to Crime Stoppers by calling 1800 333 000 or via 24 hours per day. Crime Stoppers is a registered charity and community volunteer organisation.