iPads the latest crime-fighting tool for QLD police

HUNDREDS of police across Queensland will now be walking the beat with iPads.

Minister for Police Jack Dempsey announced that following a successful trial, more than 500 frontline officers had iPhones and iPads with another 1,250 to come by November.

“These devices can save up to 30 minutes per officer per shift in desk time, which will add up to many thousands of desk hours per week,” Mr Dempsey said.


ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT


“Officers now have access to crucial information in the palms of their hands, giving our law enforcement teams an immediate ‘leg-up’ in the fight against crime.

“The technology provides a platform for myriad different functions, and will eventually include applications such as fingerprint and facial recognition technology.

“The QLiTE system has been developed by the Queensland Police Service and deployed to officers from Far North Queensland on Thursday Island to Surfers Paradise and remote patrols in the North West of the state, with 1,250 more to come in time for G20.”

Queensland Police Service Commissioner Ian Stewart said feedback from officers had been overwhelmingly positive.

“We have received feedback from officers which shows these devices are successful operational tools, particularly in remote and regional Queensland,” Commissioner Stewart said.

“Officers are getting greater access to operational information where traditionally they would have to rely on radios in areas of bad coverage.

“The Queensland Police Service will be actively using these new devices and technologies during the G20 events later in 2014 to protect world leaders.

Recently Acting Chief Superintendent David Johnson, Information and Communications Technology Division, was recognised as the Government CIO of the year at the iTnews Benchmark Awards for his remarkable work on the project.

“These devices make policing quicker, more effective and safer. It is revolutionary technology that will help us make the streets safer for Queenslanders.” Acting Chief Superintendent Johnson said.