UPDATE at 6:40 AM on THURSDAY | JARRYD Hayne has “vehemently” denied serious allegations that he raped a woman in the US during his time with the NFL’s San Francisco 49ers.
It comes after news broke on Wednesday of a civil complaint filed in California, alleging Hayne took the woman, known only as “Miss V”, back to his San Jose home after a 49ers game in December 2015 and raped her.
The woman’s lawyer claims she was so heavily intoxicated that she was “unable to consent to sexual intercourse” and so is now seeking monetary compensation for “emotional pain, anguish and severe distress”.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
The matter was first reported to local police in May 2016 but was later dropped by the District Attorney’s office due to a lack of evidence.
Hayne’s legal representative, Ramy Qutami from Madison Marcus Law, issued a statement late on Wednesday, saying his client previously provided “all reasonable assistance” to the 2016 investigation before it was dropped.
“Mr Hayne has not been served with any proceedings or formal complaint relating to the incident,” Mr Qutami said.
“Mr Hayne unequivocally and vehemently denies the allegations, which are the subject of the civil complaint.”
Chairman of Hayne’s NRL club, Parramatta Eels, Max Donnelly said they were unaware of the allegations.
“The Club has been made aware of serious allegations regarding Jarryd Hayne during his time with the San Francisco 49ers,” Mr Donnelly said.
“We were unaware of these allegations until they were made public today [Wednesday].
“As with any legal matter, it is important that we follow due process and ensure that we review all relevant information available, including giving Jarryd the opportunity to respond.
“The Club will continue to monitor the situation and when appropriate we will provide an update to Members and media.”
FIRST at 12:30 PM on WEDNESDAY | NRL veteran Jarryd Hayne has been accused of rape in a civil suit filed in the United States overnight.
Hayne moved to the US to play in the NFL, where he played six games before quitting the competition.
The Mercury News reports Hayne is accused of engaging in non-consensual intercourse with an unnamed woman in 2015.
The suit claims the victim was a virgin at the time and was afraid to come forward for several months.
It said she sought medical treatment before reporting the rape to police in May 2016.
The District Attorney’s office reviewed and rejected the case last year based on insufficient evidence.
Hayne’s representative Wayne Beavis told Newscorp he was unaware of the claims.