Rugby League star Jarryd Hayne has appeared in court for the first time since being charged over the alleged aggravated sexual assault of a woman he allegedly met on social media.
The 30-year-old was supported by his mum and manager as he faced Burwood Local Court on Monday morning.
Hayne’s lawyer, Richard Pontello, revealed that he intends to plead not guilty.
ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER THIS ADVERTISEMENT
“Mr Hayne maintains his innocence, a plea of not guilty will be entered” he told reporters outside of court.
The former Parramatta Eels player was charged with aggravated sexual assault-inflict actual bodily harm on victim after handing himself into Ryde Police Station last month.
Police say the alleged assault happened at a home in the Hunter region on NRL grand final night.
“Police will allege in court that the man attended a home in the Hunter region on Sunday 30 September 2018, and sexually assaulted a 26-year-old woman,” NSW police said in a statement.
The matter will return to court on February 13.
Breaking update on Jarryd Hayne's court appearance pic.twitter.com/iv4hgdUo4f
— NRL on Nine (@NRLonNine) December 9, 2018